[comp.sys.mac] Tech Notes Stacks

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/18/90)

Hi,

  I understand that the complete Mac Tech Notes is available as a HyperCard
stack (or more than one...).  The questions that come to mind are:  what is
the newest version, and where do I find it?  Are the ones on Sumex the newest?

Thanks!

--Mike

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (01/18/90)

In article <1427@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Hi,
>
>  I understand that the complete Mac Tech Notes is available as a HyperCard
>stack (or more than one...).  The questions that come to mind are:  what is
>the newest version, and where do I find it?  Are the ones on Sumex the newest?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--Mike

  The most recent version is 3.2.1, available from apple.com.  As an aside,
SpInside Mac, the on-line version of Inside Mac volumes I through V is on
Phil & Dave's Volume II (The NeXT Generation).  It works like the Tech Note
Stack, but it has all of IM in it.  No more searching through three different
volumes to find what you need.  Now if only I had enough RAM to run HyperCard
and MPW at the same time... :)

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
Mac Support &                      | Real-mail: Dean Yu
 Self declared License Czar        |            Rm 145 Chrysler Building
University of Michigan             |            2121 Bonnisteel
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109
     INCLUDE 'Disclaimers.a'       | Phone:     (313) 763-3070

WDBURNS@MTUS5.BITNET (William Burns) (01/20/90)

Try the Apple.COM FTP archives (130.43.2.2)
They have the *complete* set of them.  But be warned: they are really big
and Apple suggests (pleads) that you do not attempt to d/l them during
prime time business hours.
Look in the /pub/dts/mac/tn.stack folders (or something like that..)
Good Luck! ...

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Duck (Plum) Sauce [RECIPE]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 10:43:29 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

                           Duck (Plum) Sauce
                              Shu-Moy Ding

Ingredients:

  4 cups fresh plumns, skins and pits removed, mashed
  3 cups fresh or dried apricots
  2 cups apples, peaches, pineapple, strawberries or peaches
  1 cup vinegar
  2 cups sugar
  1 cup chopped pimentos

Preparation:

  1. Mash fruit together; add remaining ingredients
  2. Put in a pot and bring to the boiling point; lower heat and let
     simmer 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Preserve in airtight jar. Keep in cool place for about a month.
  4. When ready to use, add a little water and sugar to taste.

Source: "The Chinese Cook Book" (Hong)

From: MICHAEL@MAINE
Newsgroups: misc.legal,rec.autos
Subject: Re: Beating the Canadian 'radar detector' detectors
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 90 09:52:47 EST
TO: NETNEWS@MAINE

In article <3183@ge-dab.GE.COM> sulak@ge-dab.GE.COM (John M. Sulak) writes:
>A while ago, there were many articles on radar detector detectors being
>used in Canada. Here are a few exerts from a New York Times report
>appearing on page 19-A of the Tampa Tribune on 31 Dec 1989:
>
>~ ..."If a Canadian motorist has a radar detector, we confiscate it," said
>~ Constable Walter Phillips. "Being we are congenial people, we let American
>~ drivers go with a ticket and a fine."
>~
>~ The fine is about $60. He displayed a box of confiscated detectors, some of
>~ which cost $300. "In 30 days, after the appeal period has expired on the
>~ tickets," he said, "all of these radar detectors will meet our
>~ sledgehammer."  ...
>~
>~ Canadian law lets constables search a car or truck if they have reason to
>~ suspect that a detector is hidden. They are not allowed to conduct a body
>~ search, but Haennel said questioning usually does the trick.

This is what I would call totalitarian. I personally feel very strongly that
the government of any country has no right to confiscate materials owned by a
private citizen so long as those materials do not pose a direct danger to the
citizen or to other citizens. A radar detector is intrinsically harmless. I'd
love to see a class action suit against the Canadian government to recover the
cost of all those wantonly destroyed radar detectors. Let's hope the US
government doesn't decide to follow the example of the Canadians.

Michael Johnson                           "We are the Priests of the Temples
University of Maine System                 of Syrinx. Our great computers fill
Computing and Data Processing Services     the hallowed halls." - Neil Peart