[comp.sys.mac] Noticing other drives after bootup

mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) (01/19/90)

I have a LaCie 80MB drive I boot with and an older Jasmine20 drive I use
for backup purposes these days. Usually I leave the Jasmine powered down until
I need to do a backup. With the Mac all booted up, I fire up the Jasmine and
wait for it to be noticed by the system but it never is. I have looked in the
LaCie folders for something like a mount app. but no dice. Any advice? I
don't like having to reboot the whole works to get the Jasmine noticed.
SYSTEM CONFIG:
  MAC 1MegKE
  system 6.0x
  finder 5.4(?) not sure

mikek@hpvcfs1

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (01/19/90)

Get the SCSI Tools cdev from sumex.  It will allow you to rescan the
SCSI bus and
mount new devices.  It will also allow you to remount them if you
unmount them by
mistake (like if you have 2 HDs and drag one of them to the garbage, for
example).

-Ivanski

Internet: captkidd@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (01/20/90)

In article <780097@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:
>I have a LaCie 80MB drive I boot with and an older Jasmine20 drive I use
>for backup purposes these days. Usually I leave the Jasmine powered down until
>I need to do a backup. With the Mac all booted up, I fire up the Jasmine and
>wait for it to be noticed by the system but it never is. I have looked in the
>LaCie folders for something like a mount app. but no dice. Any advice? I
>don't like having to reboot the whole works to get the Jasmine noticed.

Mike, I don't quite understand what the problem might be, perhaps you've
purchased your Lacie drive used or like me and some other people, just haven't
read our (you know what kind of) manuals :-).

Anyway, the whole issue is that the Lacie software that comes with the drive
has two pieces, a utility called silverlining and a DA called Cirrus Volumes.
The DA is the normal mechanism for mounting, locking, mounting and startup,
etc. once you are operating normally. All of these functions can also be done
from the silverlining utility itself (along with formatting, driver
installation, optimizing, etc.).

Now, assuming that you are familiar with both of these I have to assume that
you are not using a sliverlining driver on the Jasmine. If not - well you
should consider doing so since these drivers let you do all kinds of nice
things. It could be that the Cirrus Volumes DA will only recognise Disks and
partitions that have the sliverlining drivers installed.

If you prefer to keep your drive as is, I beleive that I have seen some "force
mount" type of SCSI mounters that are around on the archives.

good luck

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM