[comp.sys.mac] Need a screen saver

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2841) (01/19/90)

I need a screen saver that fills a few conditions:
1)  Doesn't stop background processing or printing
2)  Doesn't conflict with Macro Maker
3)  Runs on an SE and Mac IIx

Stars doesn't fulfill 1
Dimmer doesn't fulfill 2, or possibly 3 (at least the posted version I have)
MacsBug doesn't fulfill 1,2, or 3.

I would like suggestions or reviews.  Commercial products are fine - I won't
mind paying a few bucks.

Thanks for the help!
Jim

consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (01/20/90)

 -> I need a screen saver that fills a few conditions

PYRO ! is your answer.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (01/20/90)

In article <7698@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:

>I need a screen saver that fills a few conditions:
>1)  Doesn't stop background processing or printing
>2)  Doesn't conflict with Macro Maker
>3)  Runs on an SE and Mac IIx
>
>Stars doesn't fulfill 1
>Dimmer doesn't fulfill 2, or possibly 3 (at least the posted version I have)
>MacsBug doesn't fulfill 1,2, or 3.

> Commercial products are fine - I won't mind paying a few bucks.

I sympathize.  I haven't found a screen saver that does it all, yet, either,
but I'm NOT willing to "pay a few bucks."  The purpose of a screen saver is
to protect the hardware; IMHO, hardware protection should be built into
the hardware.  It USED to be, back when we had plain old "intelligent
terminals!"  We seem to have done a technological backslide somewhere.

Any EE worth his or her soldering iron (or CAE package) should be capable
of grinding out a screen-saver circuit (even for the Mac) that doesn't
interfere with software operation.  All it needs to do is turn the screen
black.  If we still we want to keep the ability to run the fancy software
screen savers (they ARE kinda fun to watch, after all), maybe the hardware
could generate a "time to save the screen" event, allowing software to
notice and do something fancier.

Whaddaya say, Apple?  When your screens get burned, YOU get burned.

     Tony
Email:       tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu  Phone:  608-271-8450
Disclaimer:  The opinions above are mine.  Others may agree or disagree.

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/20/90)

In article <9561@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes...
-In article <7698@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
->I need a screen saver that fills a few conditions:
->[blah blah blah]

-Any EE worth his or her soldering iron (or CAE package) should be capable
-of grinding out a screen-saver circuit (even for the Mac) that doesn't
-interfere with software operation.  All it needs to do is turn the screen
-black.  If we still we want to keep the ability to run the fancy software

I got news for you. All Macs come with this hardware feature already
built in. It's called the screen brightness control. Use it.

>>>      Internet: yahnke@macc.wisc.edu        <<<
>>>   Mille voix chuchottent <<c'est vrai>>    <<<

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) (01/20/90)

[screen saver recommendations requested...]
[degenerated into why it wasn't a hardware feature]

In article <3008@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke,
MACC) writes...

>I got news for you. All Macs come with this hardware feature already
>built in. It's called the screen brightness control. Use it.

Unacceptable, IMHO.  It requires conscious action on the part of the user.

Suppose late one Friday, one is called away unexpectedly to a meeting.  S/he
forgets to turn down the brightness, and returns on Monday to find lovely
burn-in. (Probably wouldn't happen that fast, but you get the point).  A
screen saver should be completely transparent to the user.  For example, the
DEC Rainbow (besides having other neat features) had a built-in screen saver,
as do other DEC terminals.

Why can't Apple do it?

Anyway, as for screen savers, Moire 2.xx seems pretty nice.  3.x doesn't
impress me as much (for various reasons).

 /'')  /'~  /   | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            |  Hey!  You're not
/''\  /,,  /,,  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |   Rockin' Ricky
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |   fans! -- "Gremlins"