[comp.sys.mac] FDHD problem?

schapman@cheddar.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) (01/11/90)

I have noticed a problem with my new SE (with an internal 20Meg drive) when
intializing SOME High Density (HD) disks. Generally I can initialize the disk
on the first pass. However if I try to erase the disk my system will come up
with some kind of a disk error and will NEVER be able to re-initialize the
disk ever! I have ruined a few HD disks this way... Last night I ruined a
double sided disk in the same fashion... MIGHT there be a problem with my
disk drive? Have other people had this problem?

mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) (01/12/90)

I've been having similar problems with my SE/30.  I think the
"superdrive" is a piece of shit.  I've blown away several very expensive
HD disks, and lost some important files doing it.  Yesterday it spewed
out what _had_ been a perfectly good 800k disk.  The usual message is:
"The file ...  could not be written and was skipped (disk error)."
Once this happens, you might as well throw the disk away, because you'll
never be able to format it again.  Even after I erased the disk with a
demagnetizer, it still wouldn't format.

The only good thing I can say about the "superdrive" is that it reads PC
disks okay.  In their zeal to appeal to the PC market, Apple's engineers
designed a drive that's more compatible with IBM than Macintosh.

I guess the solution is to buy an external 800k drive.  This works out
very well for Apple:  sell a shitty piece of hardware, then sell 'em
even more hardware to make up for the deficiencies.  (Another vital part
of this strategy is to provide only 90 days of warranty.  Most problems
don't appear until after the warranty expires.)

Thanks again, Apple.

Mark Turner
mark@hpcilzb.hp.com

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (01/14/90)

> I've blown away several very expensive
> HD disks, and lost some important files doing it.  Yesterday it spewed
> out what _had_ been a perfectly good 800k disk.  The usual message is:
> "The file ...  could not be written and was skipped (disk error)."
> Once this happens, you might as well throw the disk away, because you'll
> never be able to format it again.  Even after I erased the disk with a
> demagnetizer, it still wouldn't format.

  I've been using an SE/30 with the FDHD and have experienced a
  different problem --> once in a while (great while) it cannot read a
  floppy and asks if I want to format it (it says it is unreadable).
  Knowing better, I take the floppy out and tap it on one side then the
  other, pop it back in and the FDHD will read it ... weird.

  Another point --> don't toss that un-formattable floppy away yet.  I
  have had a floppy not format normally (a message tells me it failed to
  format.  When this happens I take our my Central Point Software's Copy
  II Mac (noone should be without it), and use the format option there.
  This usually cures it !!

> The only good thing I can say about the "superdrive" is that it reads PC
> disks okay.  In their zeal to appeal to the PC market, Apple's engineers
> designed a drive that's more compatible with IBM than Macintosh.

  I think there is more than that.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/15/90)

/* Written  1:31 am  Jan 14, 1990 by david@jc3b21.UUCP*/

 > Another point --> don't toss that un-formattable floppy away yet.  I
 > have had a floppy not format normally (a message tells me it failed to
 > format.  When this happens I take our my Central Point Software's Copy
 > II Mac (noone should be without it), and use the format option there.
 > This usually cures it !!

I've had the same problem with the FHDH and did try using Copy II to fix it
with no luck.  I have had three or four disks not work in the last 4 weeks.
At first I passed it off as poor disks, but perhaps Apple did make a mistake
in design.

					 Erik A. Johnson
					 Grad Student, Aero/Astro Engineering
					 University of Illinois
					 johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

laba-4ad@web-2b.berkeley.edu (Joseph Teo) (01/17/90)

In article <870287@hpcilzb.HP.COM> mark@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Mark Turner) writes:
>I've been having similar problems with my SE/30.  I think the
>"superdrive" is a piece of shit.  I've blown away several very expensive
>HD disks, and lost some important files doing it.  Yesterday it spewed
>out what _had_ been a perfectly good 800k disk.  The usual message is:
>"The file ...  could not be written and was skipped (disk error)."
>Once this happens, you might as well throw the disk away, because you'll
>never be able to format it again.  Even after I erased the disk with a
>demagnetizer, it still wouldn't format.

I've been having a lot of problems with my FDHD too. I've been using a IIGS
for about 2 1/2 years until I switched over to the SE/30 about 6 months ago.
A lot of my Apple II disks which I intended to reuse on the Mac became
unreadable. Certainly a great deal more than the normal attrition rate.
Everything seemed to die right away. I haven't got a single 3.5" disk
failure until that stage for that matter.

To be fair, a lot of my friends using the IIGS started to experience problems
with their disks too. And I think the problem is more because of the
difference between DD and HD disk formatting rather than Apple and IBM
formats. The Mac also seemed to be a great deal more fuzzy about the
condition of the disks than the Apple II.

wlw2286@ultb.isc.rit.edu (W.L. Ware) (01/20/90)

My FDHD in my IIci locked up the other I day. I put in a disk and
KERCHUNK! So I took the whole thing apart and spun (or tried to) spin
the motor, finally it started to spin (don't know why) so I put the
whole thing back together and it worked! Any way considering the age of
my computer (3 months) this is rediculous.

Lance
*W.L.Ware                                             LANCEWARE SYSTEMS*
*WLW2286%ritvax.cunyvm.cuny.edu                    Value Added reseller*
*WLW2286%ultb.isc.rit.edu                          Mac and IBM Access. *