[comp.sys.mac] Changing Boot "Welcome" message

kubiak@debussy.csg.uiuc.edu (Ken Kubiak) (01/17/90)

A friend of mine has a Mac+ on which someone has changed the
"welcome to the macintosh" message which appears at bootup.
Does anyone out there know how to change it back?

Thanks in advance --

Ken Kubiak
Center for Reliable High-Performance Computing
kubiak@csg.uiuc.edu

consp22@bingsunh.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (01/18/90)

Yes.
Go into the system folder and remove the document called : StartupScreen

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/18/90)

Ken - You can do this with a sector editor like FEdit, MacSnoop, or SUM
Tools. Just search for "Welcome", then edit the words. Your new message
must be exactly the same length, however.

Another way is to use a PD or shareware app called "DSAT Editor" or something
similar. It also let you edit the bomb icon, as I recall. I vaguely recall
this app "broke" some time ago, however.

Enjoy, -Russ

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/18/90)

Ken - shoulda checked first. You got by curiosity up, so I started digging.
The app is called "BootEdit" by John Holder. It indeed will edit the startup
message, but you still need to stay within 21 characters. The DSAT editing
part (bomb and welcome icons) came up junk on my Mac Plus and Jasmine DD80,
so I didn't risk trying to edit them.

Since even this app still limits you to 21 chars, might as well stick with
a sector editor. -Russ

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/18/90)

Macintosh' startup message back to normal after it has been changed?":

In article <2796@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp22@bingsunh.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) writes:
>Yes.
>Go into the system folder and remove the document called : StartupScreen

Huh?

The StartupScreen will replace the dialog box completely, not just
alter the text in it (although it is possible to make a StartupScreen
that looks just like the normal one save for the message).  It is
possible, however, to actually change the message that appears at
startup.

This message is stored in the boot blocks, I believe, although I have
no idea how to get at it (there is a program in sumex that purports to
let you change it, but the program is so old that I just don't trust
it with my boot blocks...).

Anyone know how to change that message?

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

vallon@sbmiclr.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (01/18/90)

In article <13013@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Brian Kendig) writes:
>                                                           It is
> possible, however, to actually change the message that appears at
> startup.

> Anyone know how to change that message?

Use FEdit/MacTools to search for the ascii string that you want to change.
I'm pretty sure it's in the System file, and probably in the resource fork.
Note that the replacement string will have to be as long or shorter than
the given string ("Welcome...").

If anybody doesn't understand this, feel free to reply.

>      << Brian >>
>
> --
>| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
>| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
>|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (01/18/90)

In article <13013@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>Macintosh' startup message back to normal after it has been changed?":

Changing the startup message is relatively simple, provided you have the
right tools.  The way I always did it was to use a disk editor (SUM or
FEdit+), do an ascii search for the startup string ('Welcome to Macintosh'
by default, or whatever you've changed it to), and modify it starting at
the beginning of the message.  Note that the revised string should be
exactly as long as the old one.

I don't remember the specifics of editing with SUM or FEdit, but as I
recall, it's not too difficult to figure out.  On both, you'll need to
issue a command to allow you to change the disk's data, and then a
write command to make the changes permanent.

Caveat: BE CAREFUL.  Tinkering with low-level editors is always
potentiall dangerous.  If you're editing a floppy, make a backup, and
if you're changing a hard disk, don't do it unless you know what
you're doing.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.UChicago.EDU
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions herein are my own, not      }

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (01/19/90)

Why don't you just reinstall the system?

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com

arun@ac.dal.ca (01/19/90)

In article <13013@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> Macintosh' startup message back to normal after it has been changed?":
>
> In article <2796@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp22@bingsunh.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) writes:
>>Yes.
>>Go into the system folder and remove the document called : StartupScreen
>
> Huh?
>
> The StartupScreen will replace the dialog box completely, not just
> alter the text in it (although it is possible to make a StartupScreen
> that looks just like the normal one save for the message).  It is
> possible, however, to actually change the message that appears at
> startup.
>
> This message is stored in the boot blocks, I believe, although I have
> no idea how to get at it (there is a program in sumex that purports to
> let you change it, but the program is so old that I just don't trust
> it with my boot blocks...).
>
> Anyone know how to change that message?
>
>      << Brian >>
>
> --
> | Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
> | Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
> | Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
> |   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

I use Superpaint 2.0 to create any startup screen I like as it has
startupscreen as one of its options in the save window...

                        >>>ARUN MATHUR<<<
             Dalhousie University Medical School
                Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada...

Ed.Edell@f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (01/20/90)

> A friend of mine has a Mac+ on which someone has changed the "welcome
> to the macintosh" message which appears at bootup. Does anyone out
> there know how to change it back?

other then editing the System file with ResEdit or FEdit, the easiest
thing to do is just replace the System file on the affected Mac.
                 -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563!Ed.Edell