[comp.sys.mac] Disk copying

francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) (01/16/90)

I have one FDHD floppy drive on a mac IIcx. I have 5 meg RAM, so
why does it take more than one disk swap to copy one disk to another?
I realize the first swap is to check to see if there is space on the
destination disk (among other things), but it can take 3 or more swaps
sometimes.

Thanx in advance.

--
francis@pawl.rpi.edu - Francis Schima

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (01/17/90)

In article <}|R&F_@rpi.edu>, francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) writes...
-I have one FDHD floppy drive on a mac IIcx. I have 5 meg RAM, so
-why does it take more than one disk swap to copy one disk to another?
-I realize the first swap is to check to see if there is space on the
-destination disk (among other things), but it can take 3 or more swaps
-sometimes.

Are you running under MultiFinder? I suspect it may have something
to do with the partition size.

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/18/90)

Written  8:02 am  Jan 17, 1990 by yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu
 > In article <}|R&F_@rpi.edu>, francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) writes...
 > -I have one FDHD floppy drive on a mac IIcx. I have 5 meg RAM, so
 > -why does it take more than one disk swap to copy one disk to another?
 > -I realize the first swap is to check to see if there is space on the
 > -destination disk (among other things), but it can take 3 or more swaps
 > -sometimes.
 >
 > Are you running under MultiFinder? I suspect it may have something
 > to do with the partition size.

Partition size of what?

                                     Erik A. Johnson
                                     Graduate Student, Aero/Astro Engineering
                                     johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/18/90)

In article <20200077@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes...
-Written  8:02 am  Jan 17, 1990 by yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu
- > In article <}|R&F_@rpi.edu>, francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) writes...
- > -I have one FDHD floppy drive on a mac IIcx. I have 5 meg RAM, so
- > -why does it take more than one disk swap to copy one disk to another?
- > -I realize the first swap is to check to see if there is space on the
- > -destination disk (among other things), but it can take 3 or more swaps
- > -sometimes.
- >
- > Are you running under MultiFinder? I suspect it may have something
- > to do with the partition size.
-
-Partition size of what?
-

A.K.A., the "Application Memory Size" as set in the Get Info box for
the relevant application under MultiFinder.

Though I suspect this isn't the case anyway. Under UniFinder even
w/a lot of RAM you still have to swap disks a few times when copying
one from another. Best bet if you have several to do is to just
use a disk copy program, like the shareware DiskDup+.

kscott@cca.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (01/20/90)

In article <2999@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) writes:
*In article <20200077@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes...
*-Written  8:02 am  Jan 17, 1990 by yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu
*- > In article <}|R&F_@rpi.edu>, francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) writes:
*- > -I have one FDHD floppy drive on a mac IIcx. I have 5 meg RAM, so ...
*- > -destination disk (among other things), but it can take 3 or more swaps
*- >
*-  Are you running under MultiFinder? I suspect it may have something
*-  to do with the partition size.
*-
*-Partition size of what?
*
*A.K.A., the "Application Memory Size" as set in the Get Info box for
*the relevant application under MultiFinder.

You can resize the finder, provided it is not the active finder.  Boot off of
another disk, then go get the finder on your hard disk and do a "get info".
Resize your finder to whatever you like, I notice an increased efficiency on my
macII (with numerous inits&cdevs).  My mac salesman was the one who recommended
I try it.  This will also reduce the number of swaps you need to make under
multifinder.  You might also try closing all windows, etc, and free up as much
space for the finder before copying.

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (01/20/90)

In article <2719@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> kscott@cca.ucsf.edu.UUCP
(Kevin Scott) writes:
>You can resize the finder, provided it is not the active finder.  Boot off of
>another disk, then go get the finder on your hard disk and do a "get info".
>Resize your finder to whatever you like.

Actually, you can change the Finder's application memory size even when
it IS the active Finder, although the new size doesn't take effect until
the next time you restart. I find a size of 256K is sufficient for just
about anything you would normally do. (It pays to keep the Finder memory
as small as possible, since every byte is one byte fewer available for
applications.)
--
 jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a