[comp.sys.mac] MacApp Help

lmiller@alias.UUCP (Lynn Miller) (01/20/90)

I'm interested in using MacApp and am wondering how people
currently using it feel about it.  Is it easy to learn?
Will my program run quickly enough?  Does it work well with C++?
I guess just basically, what's been done with it and what
were the problems faced?

Lynn Miller
lmiller@alias.UUCP

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (01/20/90)

In article <719@alias.UUCP> lmiller@alias.UUCP (Lynn Miller) writes:
>I'm interested in using MacApp and am wondering how people
>currently using it feel about it.  Is it easy to learn?
>Will my program run quickly enough?  Does it work well with C++?
>I guess just basically, what's been done with it and what
>were the problems faced?

I'm using MacApp and like it very much.  For appropriate programs (it can't
be used to do code resource, DA's, cdev's, etc) it, or something like it, is
the only way to fly.

It's not painless to learn.  Learning MacApp is much like learn to program
the Mac, though less painfull as the debugging environment is rather nice.

We've had no major performance problems.

I haven't used C++, so no comment.

Other comments: builds can be slow since it (currently) works only under MPW.
We're using Jasik's Debugger and Incremental Build System and this speeds
up compile/link cycles lots!  And the source level debugging it provides is
also very helpful.

I find I spend less time debugging low level thing.  This comes from the well
thought out framework that MacApp provides and the good error handling MacApp
has built into it.  This gives me more time to focus on major issues.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce