[comp.sys.mac] Perceptions of speed

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (01/17/90)

> I would reply via Email, but this is a VERY bad comparison. The idea
> of the mythical "MIP" is an idead propagated by computer sales(wo)men.
> A MIP is ONLY useful when comparing proccessors with the same instruction
> set. For example, in my Mac, I have a 16mhz 68020/68881 which can put

Actually a "MIP" is useless for almost any purpose, meaning, as it does,
"Machine Instruction Per".  The singular term (e.g. 1 MIPS) is "MIPS":
"Machine Instruction Per Second". This is not to say that the plural is
"MIPSs" :-)

[...]

> Mike Schechter
> Institute for Sensory Research
> isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu

Scott Bayes
Hewlett-Packard Company

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (01/18/90)

a digression...

I recall reading somewhere (probably some IBM sales literature for
one of their "mainframes") that the user's perception of a machine's
speed is directly dependent on the time it takes a message to
appear on screen after the user presses a key. They made the point
that on a heavily loaded processor, printing a "processing your request"
message within 1/2 second of the user pressing a key would fool
the user into thinking that the machine was not loaded down. That's
one of the reasons they put I/O processors on their "multi-channel" machines.

Here's the point: my Apollo, which is an old 12MHz 68020, feels a whole
lot faster than the Mac IIci running Multifinder, even though the Apollo
runs various benchmarks much slower than the mac. With a backup across the
network to a tape drive running in one window, a compile running in background
in a another window, and an editor in the foreground, the machine
still gives me the perception of responsiveness. With a couple of
programs loaded under Multifinder on the mac (word, spelling coach, wingz,
and statview) the mac feels real sluggish, and tends to crash at very
inopportune moments.

-- Brian
====
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    Assistant Research Professor (hat #1)
    University of Hawaii/ Cancer Research Center of Hawaii,
      and
    CEO (hat #2)
    Martin Information Systems, Ltd.
    1103 9th Avenue, Suite 203
    Honolulu, Hawai`i 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (01/20/90)

 -> Actually a "MIP" is useless for almost any purpose, meaning, as it does,
 -> "Machine Instruction Per".  The singular term (e.g. 1 MIPS) is "MIPS":
 -> "Machine Instruction Per Second". This is not to say that the plural is
 -> "MIPSs" :-)

I think you made a mistake.  It stands for Million Instructions per Second.
If my computer was rated a 6 Machine Instructions per Second it would be
running as slow as Peanut Butter flowing uphill in February.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

datta@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Slarti) (01/21/90)

In article <2600001@hpislx.HP.COM> bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:
>Actually a "MIP" is useless for almost any purpose, meaning, as it does,
>"Machine Instruction Per".  The singular term (e.g. 1 MIPS) is "MIPS":
>"Machine Instruction Per Second". This is not to say that the plural is
>"MIPSs" :-)

Actually, the term MIPS stands for "Million Instructions Per Second".  A 6
MIPS machine would be useless if it executed six instructions per second.
That's where the problems arise.  A 68030 instruction is worth more than
a SPARC instruction because it can do more.  So, just going by MIPS is not
a valid comparison unless you are comparing two computers with the same
CPUs.  The only real way to compare the speeds of machines is to do
benchmarks.