[comp.sys.mac] sending TeX .dvi files

bagchi@dogwood.engin.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (01/20/90)

	Is there any way to send a TeX dvi file to a Laserwriter NT?
I can easily turn the .dvi file to a postscript file, unix-side, but
I tried sending the .ps file to a LaserWriter NT via sendps-2.0 (thanks
for all the help in finding it...I"m still getting replies on that one)
but it doesn't work.

	So I ask...is there another way?

 	-rj
	bagchi@caen.engin.umich.edu
	yclee099@crim.eecs.umich.edu
	Ranjan_Bagchi@ub.cc.umich.edu

npreyer@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Norris Preyer) (01/21/90)

In article <48267547.1041b@dogwood.engin.umich.edu>
bagchi@dogwood.engin.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

>	Is there any way to send a TeX dvi file to a Laserwriter NT?
>I can easily turn the .dvi file to a postscript file, unix-side, but
>I tried sending the .ps file to a LaserWriter NT via sendps-2.0 (thanks
>for all the help in finding it...I"m still getting replies on that one)
>but it doesn't work.

The simplest way is to run OzTeX (a public domain TeX) on the mac
and have it read the dvi file and drive the laserwriter directly.
The only trouble with this solution is that you need several free
megabytes on your hard disk to hold the .pk files, but it cuts the
download time substantially.  An added benifit of this approach is
that you might like OzTeX better than your unix tex since it
includes a screen previewer.  The 1.1 version of OzTeX can be ftped
from the pub/source/OzTeX directory of tank.uchicago.edu.  I don't
know of any US site that has version 1.2 yet, but the aston (England)
mail server has it.

Hope this helps -- Norris Preyer