[comp.sys.mac] source for comm program?

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (01/17/90)

I want to better understand how the 8530 works.  I looked through
the sumex-aim info-mac archive for comm programs, but I only found
executables.  Are there any comm program sources available so that
I could see some code that talks to the 8530's?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

austing@apple.com (Glenn L. Austin) (01/18/90)

In article <13354@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L.
Kay) writes:
> I want to better understand how the 8530 works.  I looked through
> the sumex-aim info-mac archive for comm programs, but I only found
> executables.  Are there any comm program sources available so that
> I could see some code that talks to the 8530's?

If you are writing a communications package, you should use the serial
drivers, because that will give you future compatibility , and because
they are written to allow you not to have to worry about checking status
for each char sent or received.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Have you ever danced with the devil in  |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |  in the pale moonlight?" -The Joker      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "You made me!" -Batman                   |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --    |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them? |

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (01/21/90)

In article <13354@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>I want to better understand how the 8530 works.  I looked through
>the sumex-aim info-mac archive for comm programs, but I only found
>executables.  Are there any comm program sources available so that
>I could see some code that talks to the 8530's?

	Even if there were source to some comm programs on sumex, they would
not help you ton understand the ZILOG chip - the reason is that for compat-
ibility on future CPU's Macintosh programmers use something called the Toolbox
which includes and Serial Manager (sort of) that one uses to talk to the
serial driver (which does the direct talking to the ZILOG, in this case!).
	If you would like to understand how to write comm softare on the Mac,
I suggest you read the Serial Manager chapter in Inside Macintosh volume II.
Also if you want to write comm softare, you might well consider Apple's new
Communications Toolbox (available from APDA!)

>Thanks in advance,

	You decide whehter to thank me or not for the above info ;-)

>Tim

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025