[comp.sys.mac] Has Adobe fixed ATM's character dropouts? What's with System 6.0.4

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (01/19/90)

Does anyone know if Adobe has fixed ATM's annoying little problem of dropping
characters during a print job?  The many fonts are kinda useless if ATM keeps
doing this.

I've heard that System 6.0.4 is incompatible with some software or has some
bugs.  Does anyone know if the reports were accurate or just a temporary
problem--I have a copy of System 6.0.4 which I don't dare install yet.  Thanks.

Kok-Yong Tan can be contacted via:
BitNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (personal mail)
        kyt@cs.columbia.edu (other mail)
CompuServe: 75046,256

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) writes:

>Does anyone know if Adobe has fixed ATM's annoying little problem of dropping
>characters during a print job?  The many fonts are kinda useless if ATM keeps
>doing this.

What dropped characters? This is the first report I've seen of this kind of
problem. I'm using ATM constantly with a number of different applications
and have never seen a problem. Does it go away if you disable the ATM INIT
(and do nothing else?)

>I've heard that System 6.0.4 is incompatible with some software or has some
>bugs.  Does anyone know if the reports were accurate or just a temporary
>problem--I have a copy of System 6.0.4 which I don't dare install yet.  Thanks.

No, the reports aren't accurate. 6.0.4 is working just fine and includes bug
*fixes* not bugs. See the other recent discussion of this little mistruth
for more details.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rule 1 on how to not get an answer to your question: put "I don't
normally read this group" in the message. Rule 2: don't read the group
before posting.  It's considered bad manners to ask a questio about a
topic currently under discussion. -- Uncle chuqui's guide to the net.

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (01/21/90)

In article <2651@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) writes:
>I've heard that System 6.0.4 is incompatible with some software or has some
>bugs.  Does anyone know if the reports were accurate or just a temporary
>problem--I have a copy of System 6.0.4 which I don't dare install yet.

It amazes me!  How some people can be so naive and fearful!
I jump at the slightest mention of new versions of ANY software because
this means advances, fixes, improvements and new features!
If new versions cause incompatabilities, such as HyperCard 1.2.2 with 6.0.4,
then this says to me that HC 1.2.2 needs improvement; hence 1.2.5.
Actually, I've heard how many things 6.0.4 has helped or fixed and the only bug
i heard of besides the ones fixed were the ones with HC.
We're heading towards perfection not fear...
Willi

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (01/21/90)

In article <37974@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>What dropped characters? This is the first report I've seen of this kind of
>problem. I'm using ATM constantly with a number of different applications
>and have never seen a problem. Does it go away if you disable the ATM INIT
>(and do nothing else?)

It seems to drop random characters when printing and yes it does go away when I
disable the ATM INIT (of course, the output then gets a little ragged as
expected).  For example, when Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money tried to print
out a check for me, ATM dropped the "C" in "Check", reducing it to "heck".
While those are my sentiments exactly when paying money (:-)), after a while,
the humor palls.

In article <Jan.20.23.25.57.1990.28264@galaxy.rutgers.edu> perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (William Perez) writes:
>It amazes me!  How some people can be so naive and fearful!
> [etc, etc, etc]

I won't reduce this to a flame war or such but I am quite dependent on my Mac
for quite a lot of things and I admit to being rather unfamiliar with the Mac
(since I only got it last September).  I don't have the time nor expertise to
track down bugs while my in-tray overflows as a result.  Hence my being "naive
and fearful" and my queries on this bboard.  Better to find out than to
discover, perhaps, that there is some insidious bug that, under the correct set
of circumstances, does disastrous things to your data.  I back up most of my
data to floppy daily but a day's work can be considerable.