[comp.sys.mac] Dyana's DOS mounter

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (01/20/90)

Has anybody out there used this software?
Does it allow aplications such as MS Word to read a DOS disk (on a FHDH drive)
directly, without a translator.  Is there any software (besides Soft PC) that
will let you do that?

Thanks,
Pablo
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...

jpb@umbio.miami.edu (Joe Block) (01/20/90)

In article <21840@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Has anybody out there used this software?
>Does it allow aplications such as MS Word to read a DOS disk (on a FHDH drive)
>directly, without a translator.

They have Dayna's 5.25" Drive on one of the Mac IIs here, and it makes IBM
floppies automatically appear on the Mac desktop, without any hassle for
the user.

Joe
--
Joe Block         jpb@umbio.miami.edu
There was a young poet named Dan, whose poetry would never scan,

dnagent@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mark D Phillips) (01/21/90)

In article <21840@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Has anybody out there used this software?
>Does it allow aplications such as MS Word to read a DOS disk (on a FHDH drive)
>directly, without a translator.  Is there any software (besides Soft PC) that
>will let you do that?

There was a demo version of DOS Mounter released to the general public and
which I am pretty sure is in the info-mac archives.  It is fully functional
with the only 'crippling' being that it only works with DOS disks labelled
(using the LABEL command) 'DEMO'.  Give it a try and see for yourself.

One thing they don't mention in the DOS Mounter Demo docs is that you can
Command-Option-Double-Click on the INIT and set the creator types that go
with the different 3 letter suffixes.  So you can set it so that any file
named <filename>.TXT will open Word, MacWrite II, Nisus or whatever.

The only problem I have had with it is that it is so good at fooling the
Mac OS into thinking it is a Mac disk in the drive, that Apple File
Exchange will not allow you to use the MS-DOS->Mac file translations to
convert files, forcing me to turn OFF the INIT and reboot in order to
do conversions.  Does anyone know how to get around this, or am I doing
something wrong?

--Mark Phillips

dnagent@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mark D Phillips) (01/22/90)

In article <3999@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> dnagent@jhunix.UUCP (Me) I wrote:
[stuff eliminated]

>The only problem I have had with [DOS Mounter] is that it is so good at
>fooling the Mac OS into thinking it is a Mac disk in the drive, that
>Apple File Exchange will not allow you to use the MS-DOS->Mac file trans-
>lations to convert files, forcing me to turn OFF the INIT and reboot in order
>to do conversions.  Does anyone know how to get around this, or am I doing
>something wrong?

Yes, I was doing something wrong.  By selecting the 'Other Translations...'
choice on the Mac->Mac menu, one can even select MS-DOS->Mac translators.
Sorry.  I should have tried harder to solve the problem before posting the
message.

--Mark Phillips