[comp.sys.mac] What C compiler for the MAC

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (01/22/90)

What's a good C compiler for the MAC.  My past experience is with
MS-DOS and Unix.  I the near future I'll be responsible for
producing MAC applications.  I've started reading Inside the MAC;
any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steven Wallace
Workstations
Indiana University
ssw@lavanix.bacs.indiana.edu
ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (01/22/90)

>What's a good C compiler for the MAC.  My past experience is with
>MS-DOS and Unix.  I the near future I'll be responsible for
>producing MAC applications.  I've started reading Inside the MAC;
>any other suggestions?
>
>Steven Wallace
>ssw@lavanix.bacs.indiana.edu
>ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu

I've used THINK C for a while and it's really good.  It's fast (at least on
a Mac II with hard drive; on a Plus with two floppies, well...), has a source
level debugger, supports Toolbox calls, comes with sample code, etc.  The
new version, C 4.0, also includes object oriented programming (not exactly
C++) and many large libraries of Mac objects.  Version 4.0 is also ANSI-C
compatible.  It's a great system, and since it's very popular you can find
lots of support for it.

There's also Apple's Mac Programmer's Workshop version of C which I haven't
played with, but it's also popular.  I guess those are the two biggest C
compilers.

Good luck.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/22/90)

In article <333@cica.cica.indiana.edu> ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) writes:
>What's a good C compiler for the MAC.  My past experience is with
>MS-DOS and Unix.  I the near future I'll be responsible for
>producing MAC applications.  I've started reading Inside the MAC;
>any other suggestions?

After sampling both MPW C and THINK's Lightspeed C, I'd swear by the
latter.

MPW C is immensely powerful - it's what Apple people themselves use to
program their applications.  It is text-oriented, and has a
command-line interface very similar to Unix.  Its primary benefit, in
my opinion, is that it is fully endorsed by Apple (of course), and so
is *the* standard, and all of Apple's released code is written to
compile without modifications on MPW.  MPW is only a shell; you can
then buy Pascal, C, Fortran, MacApp, or other compilers to run under
it.  In addition to generating application or resource code with the
compiler, you can also create MPW `tools' to perform tasks for you.

Lightspeed C is very powerful as well, but in my opinion is much
friendlier.  The `Makefile' present in Unix and in MPW C is here
turned into a `project' file that contains a list of all the source
files in your project (not the files themselves) and their object code
(thus eliminating the need for .o files).  This is all displayed in a
project window; double-clicking on one of the filenames listed will
open that source file.  It has an incredible graphic run-time debugger
(much like a Mac-ified version of gdb, the Gnu debugger) and the
ability to test-run applications before actually linking together an
application file.  It can provide a Unix-like environment in which
unmodified Unix code can run, in a manner somewhat different from that
provided by MPW.

There is one majorMajorMAJOR caveat to buying MPW, however: I believe
that you must join APDA (the Apple Programmers and Developers
Association) in order to purchase it.  Its price is steep (wasn't it
something like $300?), and the membership fee for APDA is similarly
steep.  Lightspeed C, on the other hand, can be gotten for $220 at
most, and as little as $140 through a school discount (how I got my
copy).

As a final word of advice, take a peek at all the code in Sumex, and
all that comes through comp.sys.mac.binaries.  I'd bet that most of it
is Lightspeed C code.

     << Brian >>

Disclaimer: I have no relation with either Apple or Symantec.  Neither
do I have price lists or feature lists in front of me, so if you take
this article as etched in stone, you may eventually find that your
karma has run over my dogma.

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (01/22/90)

In article <13155@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <333@cica.cica.indiana.edu> ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) writes:

[ Steve wants to know what the best C compiler for the Mac is ]

[ Brian's description of MPW C deleted ]

Never used it, myself.

[ Brian's description of THINK C deleted ]

I won't echo Brian's review of THINK C, but I use THINK C 4.0, and think
very highly of it.

It is a very good, "Mac-ish," C program development environment.

>There is one majorMajorMAJOR caveat to buying MPW, however: I believe
>that you must join APDA (the Apple Programmers and Developers
>Association) in order to purchase it.  Its price is steep (wasn't it
>something like $300?), and the membership fee for APDA is similarly
>steep.

The membership fee for APDA is $20.

>      Lightspeed C, on the other hand, can be gotten for $220 at
>most, and as little as $140 through a school discount (how I got my
>copy).

I purchased THINK C 4.0 from MacConnection in last month for $149.

  --Jerry [ very satisfied THINK C 4.0 user ]

--
Jerry Frain -- Professional Student           Kansas State University
Internet: jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu      Dept of Computing & Information Sciences