[comp.sys.mac] Editing PICT resources - is there an easy way?

heap@bmc.uu.se (01/17/90)

Hi,
    I wonder if anybody knows of a tool with which to edit PICT
resources. The situation is as follows:

  I am about to do a translation of an english program to swedish.
Loads of stuff (e.g. help etc) are represented with PICT-resources,
which contains text, some of which is formatted.

  I turned to ResEdit, and opened the PICTs in the general mode. There
I saw that the text in the PICTs were not bitmaped but strings, and
each were preceeded by their respective length in one byte.

  So I started to translate each and every sentence, and then count
the letters, and lastly filling in the length byte...and then I though
that there ought to be an easier way of doing things. I mean like if
there are strings contained in the PICTs, one ought to be able to edit
them textedit-like, right?

  OK, back to the question: Is there an easy way of doing this, or do
I have do rely on ResEdit and loads of patience? If so, does anybody know
anything about the formats used in the resource when representing
boldface and italics, indent, etc.?

Sincereley

Karl-Koenig Koenigsson
Dept. of Scientific Computing, Uppsala University, Sweden
koenig@pelle.tdb.uu.se

PS. This is submitted for me by a friend. If you want to reply by
email, don't use the adress in the header, use the one in the
signature instead. Thank you. DS

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (01/20/90)

In article <2928.25b46159@bmc.uu.se> heap@bmc.uu.se writes:
>Hi,
>    I wonder if anybody knows of a tool with which to edit PICT
>resources. The situation is as follows:
	MPW 3.1 has a Pict.r rez source file which should "disassemble"
PICT's into rez input.  You could then edit the resultant file and run
rez on the changed stuff I suppose.  I haven't actually tried it,
but in theory it should work.

jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) (01/22/90)

From article <6274@internal.Apple.COM>, by dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry):
> In article <2928.25b46159@bmc.uu.se> heap@bmc.uu.se writes:
>>Hi, >>    I wonder if anybody knows of a tool with which to edit PICT
>>resources. The situation is as follows:

MacDraw is the tool you are looking for, just copy the resources in ResEdit,
Paste it into MacDraw (or anything else) edit it, and paste it back.