[comp.sys.mac] Broadcast

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (03/14/88)

There was a discussion about an AppleTalk message tool in January.
I mailed BroadCast 0.5b2 to INFO-MAC that morning. I am not going
to post it to comp.binaries.mac because of the large delays - it is
still betatest. I am not going to mail it to anyone who asks for
because of the transatlantic costs we have to pay for. I hope that
anyone interested can get it from INFO-MAC soon.

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany - West Germany.

joachim@ira.uka.de
joachim@germany.csnet
...!mcvax!unido!uka!joachim (UUCP)

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (03/16/88)

BroadCast ist now available from RY77@DKAUNI11.BITNET.

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany - West Germany.

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (11/14/89)

  Hi there.  I'd like to know if either the source code for BroadCast,
or just the format that it uses are publicly available.  If you have
any information it, please leave it to me in mail.  I don't read this
feed on a regular basis, so please reply to me in mail at the
following address:

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu

  Thanks in advance

		-Greg T.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/18/90)

In article <18541@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) writes:
>    One problem that I see with using Broadcast in this capacity is that
>in order to receive the messages, each user must have it in the System
>Folder.

Yeah, but you also have to have AppleShare installed in your System.
With AppleShare, you can't even drag it in like Broadcast, but you
have to use the installer scripts.to use AppleShare.
The  whole point is moot.

>    Broadcast has a bad reputation among those of us who work at User
>Services here at Dartmouth.  A Broadcast message that pops up at a bad
>time can produce crashes that are much worse than what I've seen from a
>networking loss.  Also, if alot of people start using it (like our
>freshmen this year), the net slows measurably.

Personally, I've never had a crash due to Broadcast, but I don't doubt
that others have.

>    My own personal gripe about Broadcast is that it is highly
>invasive.  It pops up a dialog that must be acknowledged and dealt with
>before anything else can happen.  Often to the detriment of whatever
>you're doing at the time, like saving a document, or running some sort
>of interactive program that requires quick responses (like games and
>some communications packages).
>
>    So, in summary, I wouldn't recommend Broadcast for much of anything,
>let alone as an aid to network administration.

Unfortuantely, Broadcast is abused at Dartmouth.  Students tend to use
it as a conversation mode.  (You know about teenagers and telephones,
right?)  Back before everyone and their pet hamster had broadcast,
it was extremely useful for occasional messages or important notices.
If you're managing a network with professionals who aren't going to
abuse it, it's a wonderful tool.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (01/22/90)

>Unfortuantely, Broadcast is abused at Dartmouth.  Students tend to use
>it as a conversation mode.  (You know about teenagers and telephones,
>right?)

We solved that problem here by hacking up Broadcast 1.0 and making a
"receive only" version. It is used now only for an occasional "System
going down for maintenance" sort of message. We'd be lost without it.
It has crashed me a few times in certain applications, but we get no
complaints at all from our users. So we're quite satisfied with it and
have even payed the shareware fee.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121