[comp.sys.mac] ATM : Postscript to a file

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (01/20/90)

     How do I deactivate ATM when I write postscript to a file?

I have ATM installed.  It works fine.  I write a letter in Bookman.
I save postscript to a file with either 'f' or the checkbox.  I upload
it to unix, and print it there.

My problem is before ATM, a file would be 4K.  With ATM installed,
the file is 69K.  This file has included a downloaded version
of Bookman-Light.  It looks the same to me.
     What I want is to be able to use ATM, but for laserwriter installed
fonts, I would like to use the installed fonts.  I have tried turning ATM
off and rebooting.  No go.  Still 69K.  I tried killing ATM with Aask Init.
No go.  Still 69K.  Should I remove all the Bookman ATM postscript files
from my System folder?  Is there any way to turn the ATM on and off?
Thanks!
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

kam@dlogics.UUCP (Kevin Mitchell) (01/22/90)

In article <966@occrsh.ATT.COM>, jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:

>      How do I deactivate ATM when I write postscript to a file?
>
> I have ATM installed.  It works fine.  I write a letter in Bookman.
> I save postscript to a file with either 'f' or the checkbox.  I upload
> it to unix, and print it there.
>
> My problem is before ATM, a file would be 4K.  With ATM installed,
> the file is 69K.  This file has included a downloaded version
> of Bookman-Light.  It looks the same to me.

You can easily edit out the fonts with a word processor. I've noticed
that under LaserWriter 5.2 the structuring conventions are not strictly
followed: you should only have to remove from %%BeginFont to %%EndFont,
but you actually have to remove the "bu fc" before the %%BeginFont.

So, what you have to remove is this:

bu fc

%%BeginFont
...tons of font stuff...
%%EndFont

This shouldn't be so bad, since each font is sent only once.

I use MPW's editor to yank these. I'd post the replace command I use, but
it's full of wierd characters.

Perhaps some enterprising programmer can come up with a font stripper for
PostScript files.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP