[comp.sys.mac] HyperCard 1.2.5 BOMBS!

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/19/90)

Greetings,

  Well, I upgraded to HyperCard 1.2.5, and downloaded the entire TechNotes
stack (all the megabytes), intending to read the latter using the former...
However, I find that HyperCard 1.2.5 bombs if run on its update stack.  I
click one of the topics from the menu, click in the scroll arrow, and it
either "Unexpectedly quits (Out of Application memory)" (MultiFinder) or Bombs
(ID = 25: Out of Memory).  I turned off all my inits with InitCDEV, and the
problem went away, so rather than sitting around turning inits on and off, I
was hoping someone could tell me that there's a common init know to cause this
problem.

System:  Mac IIx, 5Mb RAM, LaCie 105Mb drive, running a slew of inits,
including but not necessarily limited to:  InitCDEV, SoundMaster, Vaccine,
Antitoxin, Color Arrow, ColorFinder, 32-bit QuickDraw, Suitcase, Window List,
Boomerang 2.0, SUM Shield, Randomizer, !Deskpict, On Cue, MasterStrokes,
IconWrap, Dimmer, Logout, PopKeys, RearWindow MF, Scroll Limit, SuperClock,
SuperVideo.

Thanks for your help,
--Mike

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/20/90)

Hello,

  First, I forgot to mention that I AM running System 6.0.4, which was one of
the possible problems suggested to me.

  It turns out that I needed to use HyperCard right away, so I tracked down
the init which was causing the bomb:  IconWrap Init.  I have version 1.01.  Is
there a newer version?  I really would like to keep using it...

--Mike

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (01/21/90)

In article <1443@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>  It turns out that I needed to use HyperCard right away, so I tracked down
>the init which was causing the bomb:  IconWrap Init.  I have version 1.01.  Is
>there a newer version?  I really would like to keep using it...

 Version 1.2 of IconWrap solves the conflict with HyperCard fields (a
strange one, I must say). It should be available from all the usual
archive sites, etc. Source to IconWrap 1.2 (in C) is also out there;
it was released as part of the CShowINIT source package.

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

ta0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Thomas Phillip Ambrose) (01/23/90)

Hypercard 1.2.5 needs version 6.0.4 to run.  The new release was for the
new system and the IIci and portable.

-tom ambrose