[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: Japanese Word Processor

mikem@pixar.uucp (Mike Malione) (01/20/90)

Does anybody know of any Japanese word processing programs inteded for use by
people whose primary language is English? (i.e. one that runs under the
standard OS and provides for conversion between romajii and kana?)

Mike Malione    {ucbvax | sun}!pixar!mikem

mmig6535@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/20/90)

Yes, look for something called EGWord, by Ergosoft, if you can find
it can you send me mail on where you got it? :)
The copy I saw once had lots of neato features and turned hiragana
into kanji *poof*, with a little diddling if it didn't guess right.
-mark

gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) (01/22/90)

In article <111900105@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mmig6535@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Yes, look for something called EGWord, by Ergosoft, if you can find
>it can you send me mail on where you got it? :)
>The copy I saw once had lots of neato features and turned hiragana
>into kanji *poof*, with a little diddling if it didn't guess right.

Yes, EGWord  does have all kinds of great features.  Unfortunately the newest
version, as I understand the advertising, no longer works under the
english system.  It is available from Japanese Language Services,
186 Lincoln St., Boston, MA 02111   tel: (617)-338-2211.

It sells for $499, requires 2 meg and a hard drive.  Mac Kanji, the necessary
system sells for $99 form the same source.  It includes software that allows
you to have several systems on the same hard disk.  According to the
ad from JLS, it includes miniWriter (text editing application) and is

compatible with many Mac application programs including MacWrite, MacDraw,
and MacPaint.  It might be all you need, but I've not used it.

There was an older, less professional version of EGWord out, which worked in
English system environments.  Might still be available, I don't know.  It is
what I use, and I am very happy with it.

Another option, also available from JLS is SweetJam ($299).  It is a massive
init that allows user of Japanese characters in most applications, including
WP's, while using the English operating system.  No experience with it, but
I've heard good things about it.

I strongly recommend contacting JLS.  So far, they have given me loads of
information and are incredibly up-front about the strengths and limitations
of each product.

-Glenn Hoetker, University of Illinois.
g-hoetker@uiuc.edu  (internet or bitnet)

***disclaimer (versus dat'claimer).  I don't have any relationship with
JLS beyond being a satisfied customer...

**also, look in the sci.lang.japan for a similar discussion....

--
Glenn Hoetker
University of Illinois, Graduate School of Library and Information Science

d32954@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.JUNET (Shigeya Tanabe) (01/23/90)

Yes, I'd recommend "Sweet Jam". This is NOT Japanese word processor
but Japanese front end processor. This make it possible to treat KANJI
on English standard system. While Japanese word processors require
"Kanji Talk" (Japanese System) and Kanji font ROM. All Macintoshes
sold in Japan have Kanji font ROM. Latest version Kanji Talk requires
memories more than 2M bytes and Hard disk! :-) Moreover some softwares
from US will not run on Kanji Talk because of uncompatibality.
Sweet Jam requires 1MB RAM and a 800K disk at least, 2MB RAM and HD
more than 20MB are recommended. With Sweet Jam, you can treat Kanji
on many software such as MacWrite, MacDraw, Excel, etc.

BTW, we Japanese are always sufferd from disk space for Kanji font
files. Do you know LaserWriter NTX-J has 40MB HD to keep outlined
Kanji fonts? :)
			Shige (Shigeya Tanabe, Univ. of Tokyo)

casey@ultra.com (Casey Cox) (01/23/90)

I have the latest version of EGWord.  Unfortunately, they upgraded their
software so that it now requires KanjiTalk.  Aside from the annyoyance of
having to boot the Japanese Finder, it's a lot better than the old 2.0 version.
For instance, you can now have multiple fonts, including all your favorite
Englis fonts (Times, etc) mixed in your doucument.

You can get EGWord from Qualitus Trading in Berkely.  They advertise in the
back of MacWorld/Macuser.

--
Casey Cox
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134