[comp.sys.mac] alternate mice

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (01/16/90)

I am considering purchasing a new ADB mouse for my Mac.  Does anyone out  there
have any opinions of those currently available.  I have heard a few good
things about the A+ mouse which is optical and has a lifetime warrantee.  This
sounds like a good one, but how does it compare with the Apple mouse in terms
of feel.  Has anyone had problems using one?

I also saw an ad for a cordless mouse.  I'm not sure what company produces it.
Anyways, does anyone know much about this one?  I suppose it uses infrared
to transmit to the port; is that a correct assumption?  IF so, house does
the signal transmit.  I remember my friend who had the PCjr (ages ago) with the
cordless keyboard.  The signal transmission for that thing was very unimpress-
ive.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

Jerry.Andrews@f426.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Jerry Andrews) (01/17/90)

 DF> I am considering purchasing a new ADB mouse for my Mac.  Does anyone

I have a trackball.  Took me about 2 weeks to get used to it;  now I'd not have anything else.  It moves around faster (or as slow as) a mouse;  I can click the button without touching the ball if I want to do a selection without moving an object;  I can coast across a 2-page display with 1 flick of the finger, and I don't need a clean place on my desk to use it.

It DID, however, take awhile to get used to.

--

	Jerry Andrews at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Jerry.Andrews@f426.n109.z1.fidonet.org

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretscheider) (01/20/90)

> DF> I am considering purchasing a new ADB mouse for my Mac.  Does anyone

I just got the Moebius Cordless Mouse.  Uses IR sending to a unit that a
attaches to your Mac (same unit works with either ADB or Old mouse ports!)
I like it, I still have a corded mouse at work and have noticed that I
spend too much time arranging the cord to make the mouse work.  Cost was
less than an Apple replacement mouse, and less than most trackballs.  Only
downside seems to be that it is not reactive to "agressive" movement in
games such as Shufflepuck.  The benefit makes up for that.
--
Richard A. Bretschneider              These are my words.  My employer's
Ric Bret                              words are often spoken in haste, and

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (01/23/90)

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:

>I also saw an ad for a cordless mouse.  I'm not sure what company produces it.
>Anyways, does anyone know much about this one?  I suppose it uses infrared
>to transmit to the port; is that a correct assumption?  IF so, house does

I tried it out at ComputerWare in Sunnyvale last weekend. It has 2
buttons on top, both serving as "the" mouse key, and a "thumb" button
on the side for right handed users that didn't seem to do anything when
I clicked it, but I later read on a box that it's a mouse motion
accelerator.  In terms of feel, it's pretty close to the regular ADB
mouse (it has a rubber coated ball near the palm end). In terms of
sensitivity, as long as you don't go far outside the horizontal plane
of the detector module, you can pretty much point the mouse in any
direction within a 180 degree range (and maybe even away from the
detector if there are surfaces that will reflect the IR beam, though
I'm not sure why you'd want to point the mouse away from the Mac -- but
there's no accounting for taste). The detector is a little box (whose
shape and color matches the mouse, naturally) with a long cord ending
in a 9-pin D connector, which was connected to the ADB port on a
DataDesk keyboard via an adapter cable.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043