[comp.sys.mac] HP DeskWriter/Deskjet+

schou@portia.Stanford.EDU (Scott Chou) (01/22/90)

I've heard in the past that the only real difference between the Deskwriter
and Deskjet is the software driver and outline fonts made especially for the
Mac.  On the other hand, I understand that many people are choosing to use
Adobe Type Manager and its nice/growing collection of well maintained outline
fonts instead of those provided by HP.  Achieving greater consistency between
screen display to printer as well as across different printer makes.

If this is the case, then wouldn't it be financially advantageous to just get
a Deskjet and ATM?  Plus whatever choose document (MacPrint, Grappler, PD, ?).

If anyone has such a set up, I'd like to hear from you.  If someone knows
why the above won't work perfectly, I'd also like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Scott Chou
Stanford University

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/23/90)

In article <8451@portia.Stanford.EDU> schou@portia.Stanford.EDU (Scott Chou) writes:
> I've heard in the past that the only real difference between the Deskwriter
> and Deskjet is the software driver and outline fonts made especially for the
> Mac.

This is not really an accurate comparison.  The DeskWriter and DeskJet Plus
use the same printer mechanism.  I believe that they use the same CPU
chip.  They have _very_ different firmware, though, and their software
(bits-over-the-serial-line) protocols are not compatible.

The DeskJet Plus (and the DeskJet) support a version of HP's Printer
Control Language (PCL), have both a parallel and a serial interface, and
are really optimized for using fonts which are either built in, installed
via a ROM cartridge, or downloaded into a RAM cartridge.

The DeskWriter is designed to gobble high-resolution, highly-compressed
rasterized bitmaps, and dump them out to the print-head _quickly_.
It does not support PCL.  It does support (and use) a 2-dimensional
raster-graphic compression algorithm which is not supported by the
DeskJet family.  It accepts serial-port input at 56 kbits/second, three
times faster than the top serial-port speed of the DeskJet Plus.

>        On the other hand, I understand that many people are choosing to use
> Adobe Type Manager and its nice/growing collection of well maintained outline
> fonts instead of those provided by HP.  Achieving greater consistency between
> screen display to printer as well as across different printer makes.

You can use ATM with either a DeskWriter or with a DeskJet-plus-third-
party-driver.

> If this is the case, then wouldn't it be financially advantageous to just get
> a Deskjet and ATM?  Plus whatever choose document (MacPrint, Grappler, PD, ?).

It depends what you want.  The least-cost approach is a DeskJet (original
model), plus ATM, plus a third-party driver.  This approach works quite
nicely... its biggest disadvantage is that the original DeskJet is
CPU-limited.  Printing a full page of high-resolution text will take
between 5 and 6 minutes, in typical cases.

The same setup with a DeskJet Plus is substantially faster... single-page
print time will go down to between 2 and 3 minutes, I believe.  However,
you still won't get the same speed as a DeskWriter, because the DeskJet
Plus has only a 1-dimensional raster compression algorithm, and doesn't
support serial-port speeds of > 19200 bits/second.  You won't save
much money, though... the cost of ATM plus a good third-party driver
is roughly equal to the price difference between the DeskJet Plus
and the DeskWriter.

The DeskWriter will give you a print-speed of roughly one minute per
page... significantly faster than the DeskJet Plus.  You can, if you
wish, use ATM fonts in place of, or in addition to the HP-supplied
outline fonts.

> If anyone has such a set up, I'd like to hear from you.  If someone knows
> why the above won't work perfectly, I'd also like to hear from you.

It will certainly work.  I'm running a DeskJet (original) with a driver
from DataPak, using oversized bitmap fonts;  I might buy ATM one of these
days.  It's slow, in 300 dpi mode, but is entirely workable.

My current prescription is:  if you need a printer which is compatible
with both the PC and the Mac, go with the DeskJet Plus.  If you need
only a Mac printer, and want the best possible speed, buy a DeskWriter.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (01/23/90)

>I've heard in the past that the only real difference between the Deskwriter
>and Deskjet is the software driver and outline fonts made especially for the
>Mac.

This is not true.  The DeskWriter can handle 57.6 Kbaud and has a different
data comrpession scheme that achieves much greater throughput than the
DeskJet or DeskJet+ do on the Mac.  The only thing that comes close is
the Grappler (LX?) which uses a serial to parallel converter to up the
baud rate to the DeskJet+ (Mac -> high speed serial -> parallel -> DJ+).

Also the DeskWriter was designed for the Mac and what this amounts to is
many small design details that enhance throughput and ease of integration
with the Macintosh.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard    <-- DANGER DANGER,  HP employee, DANGER DANGER!