[comp.sys.mac] Mr. Bus Error vs. Virtual

vallon@sbmiclr.cs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (01/23/90)

(Sorry about the double posting... wrong subject first time)

In article <44959@improper.coherent.com>, dplatt@coherent.com (Dave
Platt) writes:
> [Comments about Boomerang]
>
> Back around 2.0B5 or so, I installed the Mr. Bus Error INIT, which
> repeatedly stomps location 0 with an odd doubleword... this rapidly
> detects code which is dereferencing an empty-but-not-null handle (very
> much a no-no).  Boomerang immediately began suffering from bus errors,
> aborting the current application.

(I assume that Mr. Bus Error is something like a VBL task that writes
to location $0 every interrupt).  I have two questions.

(a) I'm using Virtual.  There is no part of the address space (that is,
when you've set 14Mb VM space) that will cause a bus error (at least,
I believe).  The memory map of my Mac II w/14Mb VM:

(Addresses are VM addresses, not physical addresses)
$000000-$7FFFFF Ram (8 Mb)
$800000-$83FFFF Rom (256K)
$840000-$EFFFFF Ram (768K + 6 Mb)
$F00000-$FFFFFF Video card

So, unless the video card causes a bus error (I have no idea about this),
then there is no bus-error address.

BTW, what's the point of being odd?  Isn't a bus error enough?  Anyway,
68020's and beyond don't generate address errors, right?

(b) Where can I get this.  I suppose that it's a few minutes of code, but
I'm lazy.

> --
> Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
>   UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
>   INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
>   USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu