[comp.sys.mac] no 6.0.4 upgarde path

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/16/90)

From article <12930@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
> (This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to 6.0.4!).

There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/16/90)

In article <3592@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
|There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
|or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
|for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
|is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.

I just tried to start up Hypercard 1.2.5 (from the latest Excellent
CD) and was told that it needed 6.0.4 to run.  So does this mean that
HC1.2.5 is also not recommended for the other machines?  What's the story?

	/JBL

=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes:

>|There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
>|or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
>|for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
>|is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.

There are? I think you're misreading it. There are bug-fixes in 6.0.4 that
are applicable to all machines, not bugs. I run 6.0.4 on all my machines,
including an SE/Radius, a IIx, a MacII at home and a souped up 512Ke with
2Meg and Dove SCSI. Works fine on everything.

>I just tried to start up Hypercard 1.2.5 (from the latest Excellent
>CD) and was told that it needed 6.0.4 to run.  So does this mean that
>HC1.2.5 is also not recommended for the other machines?  What's the story?

HC 1.2.5 requires 6.0.4 because of changes in the sound manager. I know of
no situation where 6.0.4 is contraindicated on any machine where 6.0.x
works. I think someone's spreading a misintepretation. 6.0.4 is only
required for the IIci and Portable, but it works on any machine that 6.0.x
works.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Oh, saith you that this should be some pithy saying, but frankly, I can't
think of anything to say. -- William Shakespeare

danno@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Danno) (01/17/90)

In article <37842@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes:
>
>>|There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
>>|or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
>>|for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
>>|is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.
>
>There are? I think you're misreading it. There are bug-fixes in 6.0.4 that
>are applicable to all machines, not bugs. I run 6.0.4 on all my machines,
>including an SE/Radius, a IIx, a MacII at home and a souped up 512Ke with
>2Meg and Dove SCSI. Works fine on everything.

I'll add my own 6.0.4 observation:

It fixes some of the problems that BackDrop used to have on my SE/30 under
6.0.3.  Now, moving icons on the desktop will still mess up the picture, but
moving/opening windows has no negative effect; in fact, opening a full-screen
window will fix all the errors caused by moving icons around.

Wow, looks like maybe that incompatibility was Apple's problem after all...
(just a little good-natured ribbing, Chuq!=-).

Ciao,
Danno
--
________  If the crush of your emotions leaves |||  Daniel McKinnon     ________
\ <O    \  you lying in the dust, then take it ||tragedy@dartmouth.edu / <- O> /

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/17/90)

System 6.0.4 also has another interesting feature in it:  When you eject
a disk, it automatically moves the 800K disk drive's heads to track 79.
This is supposed to further improve the reliability of the 800K drives.

(There is also an INIT on AppleLink that will do this for anyone not
using 6.0.4.)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/17/90)

In article <50939@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>In article <3592@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
>|There's no upgrade path to System 6.0.4. Some Apple employee posted a note,
>|or I read it in MacWeek, or something, but there are some bugs in 6.0.4
>|for machines other than the IIci and the Portable. Consequently, 6.0.4
>|is sort of an island on those machines. Wait for 7.0.
>
>I just tried to start up Hypercard 1.2.5 (from the latest Excellent
>CD) and was told that it needed 6.0.4 to run.  So does this mean that
>HC1.2.5 is also not recommended for the other machines?  What's the story?

Well, I've been using 6.0.4 on my SE with no problems whatsoever.  However,
your mention of having trouble using newer versions of Hypercard brings up
an odd situation.  For the new TechNote and Q&A stacks you need at least
version 1.2.2 of Hypercard.  I've looked high and low for this version (since
I only have 1.2.1 and cannot even browse these stacks) and have been unable
to find it.  Now I come to find that even if I did, I would have problems
using it if I didn't have 6.0.4 and it is suggested by those in the know that
we (non ci and Portable owners) don't use 6.0.4???  What, exactly, is the
situation here.... total chaos before 7.0 comes out to introduce more bugs??

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (01/18/90)

Hi,

  The summary pretty much says it.  Can you upgrade HyperCard the same way you
do your system disks: take in the old ones to a dealer and copy the new
version on?

Thanks,
--Mike

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (01/18/90)

I believe the only problem with using Hypercard 1.2.2 and system 6.0.4 (as
I still do) is when using stacks that are larger than 2 meg.  I think
there's also some problem with the souds.  It's not going to ruin anything
though.  Lord knows how lazy I've been about getting HC 1.2.5 from the
dealer:  I haven't as of yet and I've been running 6.0.4 since it debuted.
Willi

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (01/18/90)

In article <1771@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
{In article <50939@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
{{
{
{an odd situation.  For the new TechNote and Q&A stacks you need at least
{version 1.2.2 of Hypercard.  I've looked high and low for this version (since
{I only have 1.2.1 and cannot even browse these stacks) and have been unable
{to find it.  Now I come to find that even if I did, I would have problems
{using it if I didn't have 6.0.4 and it is suggested by those in the know that
{we (non ci and Portable owners) don't use 6.0.4???  What, exactly, is the
{situation here.... total chaos before 7.0 comes out to introduce more bugs??
{
{Bill Taroli
{WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

I think "total chaos" is a little extreme.  ;-)  Anyway, you can find
hypercard 1.2.2 at your local "Authorized Apple Dealer."  Hypercard 1.2.2
works just fine on my Mac // running 6.0.2, but I believe it was shipped
with 6.0.3.  No, I haven't made the magical jump to 6.0.4 because I have
had no reason to bother.  If I couldn't read the Tech Notes stack, THAT
would have been reason.  :-)

Cheers!
-Russ
--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/19/90)

In article <1386@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:
>In article <1771@rodan.acs.syr.edu> wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
>{In article <50939@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>{{In article <3592@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
>{{
>{{I just tried to start up Hypercard 1.2.5 (from the latest Excellent
>{{CD) and was told that it needed 6.0.4 to run.  So does this mean that
>{{HC1.2.5 is also not recommended for the other machines?  What's the story?

The fact that you need System 6.0.4 to run HyperCard 1.2.5 has nothing
to do with 6.0.4's use on other Macintosh machines.  In fact, 6.0.4 is
an upgrade on 6.0.3 (in case you hadn't noticed) - you certainly can't
hurt anything, and in special cases the upgrade might be beneficial.
6.0.4 isn't *required* for Macs other than the IIci and the Portable,
but it's a good thing to have.

>{an odd situation.  For the new TechNote and Q&A stacks you need at least
>{version 1.2.2 of Hypercard.  I've looked high and low for this version (since
>{I only have 1.2.1 and cannot even browse these stacks) and have been unable
>{to find it.  Now I come to find that even if I did, I would have problems
>{using it if I didn't have 6.0.4 and it is suggested by those in the know that
>{we (non ci and Portable owners) don't use 6.0.4???  What, exactly, is the
>{situation here.... total chaos before 7.0 comes out to introduce more bugs??

Who ever suggested that people without a IIci or a Portable shouldnn't
use 6.0.4?  The new system includes several enhancements for the rest
of the Macintosh family.  For example: it contains a new method for
determining what system configuration it's running under (Gestalt), it
fixes a bug whereby a Mac Plus wouldn't notice that a disk had been
inserted, and it adds some code to reduce the chances that a disk
would be physically munched by a disk drive (destroying both in the
process).  None of these by themselves are reasons for going to a lot
of trouble to upgrade, but in the long run it may well be worth it.

>I think "total chaos" is a little extreme.  ;-)  Anyway, you can find
>hypercard 1.2.2 at your local "Authorized Apple Dealer."  Hypercard 1.2.2
>works just fine on my Mac // running 6.0.2, but I believe it was shipped
>with 6.0.3.  No, I haven't made the magical jump to 6.0.4 because I have
>had no reason to bother.  If I couldn't read the Tech Notes stack, THAT
>would have been reason.  :-)

HyperCard 1.2.2 was shipped with System 6.0.3.  The new System comes
with HyperCard 1.2.5.  Apple says that you should't use the old
HyperCard with the new System, or vice-versa, or Bad Things will
happen.

Oh, and for a little filler: It's not a Mac //, it's a Mac II.  You
have your Mac II, your Apple ][, and your Apple //c.  Got it?

We won't mention the Apple /// here, out of deference for Apple.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/19/90)

From article <13060@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig):
> Who ever suggested that people without a IIci or a Portable shouldnn't
> use 6.0.4?

I did, and am I sorry!

Just for the record, I posted a message in which I described what must have
been a hallucination: that 6.0.4 was containdicated in all machines but the
IIci and the portable. Maybe I saw it in a dream, but in any case,

I WAS WRONG!

Mea culpa, mea culpa (and I'm not even sure what that means).
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (01/21/90)

In article <3643@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:

>Just for the record, I posted a message in which I described what must have
>been a hallucination: that 6.0.4 was containdicated in all machines but the
>IIci and the portable. Maybe I saw it in a dream, but in any case,
>
>I WAS WRONG!
>
>Mea culpa, mea culpa (and I'm not even sure what that means).

I just looked up the Fall 1989 issue of APDALog and while it does NOT
say that system 6.0.4 is only for the portable and the Mac IIci, it
DOES say that if you're "not going to use this software for testing on a
Macintosh Portable or Macintosh IIci computer, there is no need to upgrade to
Macintosh System Software v. 6.0.4" and that system 6.0.2 or system 6.0.3 is
sufficient.  (page C-48 of the APDALog, right hand column)

Kok-Yong Tan can be contacted via:
BitNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (personal mail)
        kyt@cs.columbia.edu (other mail)
CompuServe: 75046,256

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (01/22/90)

Even though APDALog says there's no need to update to 6.0.4 unless you need
it, there are MANY bug fixes, including some Mac Plus specific ones.  If
you're on internet the listing is available from apple.com by ftp in the
/pub/dts directory somewhere.

-- Mark Wilkins
   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/23/90)

From article <2661@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, by kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan):
> [quoting APDAlog:] "...there is no need to upgrade to
> Macintosh System Software v. 6.0.4" and that system 6.0.2 or system 6.0.3 is
> sufficient.  (page C-48 of the APDALog, right hand column)

Ah yes, but as has been prodigiously pointed out to me in tons of hate mail,
you need System 6.0.4 to run HyperCard 1.2.5 because of Sound Manager
enhancements. "Would Apple be so stupid as to release software that required
an unstable OS version?" one MacFanatic asked. The answer is left as an
exercise for the reader.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Kuskin) (01/23/90)

In article <3683@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
>From article <2661@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, by kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan):
>> [quoting APDAlog:] "...there is no need to upgrade to
>> Macintosh System Software v. 6.0.4" and that system 6.0.2 or system 6.0.3 is
>> sufficient.  (page C-48 of the APDALog, right hand column)
>
>Ah yes, but as has been prodigiously pointed out to me in tons of hate mail,
>you need System 6.0.4 to run HyperCard 1.2.5 because of Sound Manager
>enhancements. "Would Apple be so stupid as to release software that required
>an unstable OS version?" one MacFanatic asked. The answer is left as an
>exercise for the reader.

I just purchased a IIcx (not a IIci) and it came with 6.0.4 and Hypercard
1.2.5, so it would seem that either Apple put the wrong software in the
box (unlikely), or that, although you don't *have* to use 6.0.4 on anything
but a IIci or Portable, there is no particular reason not to upgrade.

-- Jeff Kuskin, Dartmouth College

jskuskin@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (01/23/90)

As always, BMUG has the latest versions of System set & HyperCard.  We also
have the previous version, in this case.

System is $9, HyperCard is $8 (I think).  Call (415) 849-2684

--
-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                  nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink