[comp.sys.mac] Bulk file type/creator changing

DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET (David C. Schweisguth) (01/21/90)

    Hello, everyone. This is the same person who was blathering on about Appless
and Macintoshes and BBSs a day or so ago. He has just returned from a lengthy
and sweat-soaked session with the BBS in question, and has discovered that
nearly all of the abovementioned blather was of no use at all. He is therefore
reposting with a much much shorter question, to wit:

     Can someone direct me to a Macintosh utility that will change file types
and creators _in_bulk_?

     He has in mind something that would let him type "chtype TEXT MACA *", or
the mouse-n'-menus equivalent. It would be even nicer if such a beast could be
found on the net, or was so common that he would have a chance of finding it
around here, here being Penn State.

     Thank you for your support!

     P.S. If anyone really wants to know why he wants to do such a manic thing,
they could look at a much longer post by the same person a day or two ago, or
maybe mail him. It's not very interesting, really.
/                                                                             \
| David C. Schweisguth        Home: 814-862-0806    America Online: Von Mordo |
| 406 Althouse Laboratory     Work: 814-863-2791    Bitnet: dcs100@psuvm      |
| University Park, PA 16802   FAX:  814-865-2413    GEnie: D.SCHWEISGUT       |
| "My purpose in life is to slam a stapler against the forehead of American   |
|  pop culture."                                       -- Wierd Al Yankovic   |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

dnagent@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mark D Phillips) (01/22/90)

In article <90020.182732DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET> DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET (David C. Schweisguth) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>     Can someone direct me to a Macintosh utility that will change file types
>and creators _in_bulk_?
[more deleted]

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but Widgets, (a commercial
utility program sold by CE Software as part of their DiskTop and Mock-
Package Plus Utilities packages) will change all files of a certain
type to have a set creator code.  So, for example, you can change all your
TEXT files to have a creator of MSWD (MS Word). These changes can be
applied to all the files on a disk, or just to those within a selected
folder.

--Mark Phillips

barry@playfair.STANFORD.EDU (barry) (01/22/90)

The program Lone Ranger (which in its latest release has turned into a
hypercard stack) will do the trick. I think it's by Darin Adler, and it should
be in the info-mac directories on sumex.

The Widgets program which was included with older versions of DiskTop will
do this as well. Widgets was not included with my upgrade to DiskTop 4.0,
and I do not know if CE is still distributing it. I had actually thought
from the initial descriptions of DT4.0 that it would allow this kind of bulk
operation on multiple files, and therefore that this particular functionality
of Widgets (it did many different things, hence its name) was unneeeded.
However, I have not been able to figure out how to do this with DT4 - you
can certainly retain a search result, but it appears you have to change the
file information for each file one at a time, which is not what is wanted.
It anyone knows how to do this with DT4, please let me know, though of
course Lone Ranger or Widgets will do the job.

Barry Eynon
barry@playfair.stanford.edu        -ARPA
...!decwrl!shasta!playfair!barry   -USENET

barry@playfair.STANFORD.EDU (barry) (01/22/90)

Oops, one small correction to my previous post: Lone Ranger was written
by Jon Pugh, not Darin Adler, both of whom have contributed many fine
Mac utilities to the world over the years. Thanks guys!

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (01/23/90)

David C. Schweisguth writes:

>Can someone direct me to a Macintosh utility that will change file types
>and creators _in_bulk_?

Yes! I see you have America Online and GEnie accounts. Look for Bat Filer
(aka Batch Filer). It will do that and much more with ease. It can,
ferinstance, find files by any of a number of file attributes (type,
creator, dates, name, size, etc.) and add them to a "set." You can do
more finds and add them to the set. You can then do a laundry list of
operations on the set, including changing either the type and/or creator.

When finding files by type and creator, you can do a NOT on either. I
collect a lot of free art and archive it to cartridges. I use Bat Filer to
find all files of type PNTG and NOT creator MPNT on each cartridge. I then
change all found files to creator MPNT so that they start MacPaint when
opened instead of SuperPaint etc. Other operations you can do on sets are
move, copy, delete, rename, and a lot more.

I seldom use Bat Filer, but when I do, it saves a LOT of work! This is on
my "gotta have" list! Only one problem - tends to bomb under MultiFinder
when you do a Find Files the first time. Restart and it seems to work OK.

-Russ
Mac Guy
Sales & Corp support whiz
Still looking for MacWork

jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff Nelson) (01/23/90)

>      Can someone direct me to a Macintosh utility that will change file types
> and creators _in_bulk_?

You want the "FileMaster" DA.  It's available from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu in info-mac/da.  I don't have the exact name
handy, but you ought to be able to locate it easily.  This is one of the
most useful tools around.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet:  jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
-Affiliation given for identification purposes only

jlw@lzga.ATT.COM (Joe Wood) (01/23/90)

>>      Can someone direct me to a Macintosh utility that will change file types
>> and creators _in_bulk_?
>
>You want the "FileMaster" DA.  It's available from
>sumex-aim.stanford.edu in info-mac/da.  I don't have the exact name
>handy, but you ought to be able to locate it easily.

I need something more fundamental than this.  I would like a list of
the four character codes for file types and creators.  I would also like
a big matrix giving compatibility among types and applications.  Last
week I picked up some Encapsulated Post Script files from the Princeton Mac
User's group archives, but PSsend won't display them on the file selection
window.  I also got a humungus file for Inside Macintosh from this source
which is called the manual.  I can't for the life of me take a look at it.
MacWrite bombs and resets my SE.  Late last night I looked at the
file type and creator and the creator was MPS.  Is this PostScript output
from a word processor?  Am I only able to print the whole thing or abort
the print after seeing the first few pages???

I am but an egg.

Joe Wood
jlw@lzga.ATT.COM