[comp.sys.mac] Good deed for the decade

breck@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Breck Baldwin) (01/20/90)

Does anyone know who I might contact at Apple for the purpose of
getting Apple to donate some hardware to Civic Forum in Czechoslovakia?

Civic Forum is the 2 month old organization that engineered the
removal of the old goverment, and it is currently concerned with
establishing pluralism in the political system.  When I was there a
week and a half ago they had some networked PC's and were in
desperate need of more.  My thinking was that since Civic Forum is
volunteer based, their data base and word processing needs would be
better met with Macs because they are easier to learn.  Also problems
with fonts could be better handled.

It's pretty obvious that this could be a public relations coup in
addition to an excellent way for Apple to get its foot in the door of
an country that will be buying many computers in the near future.

I don't have a contact in Apple though, and things need to happen soon
if it is to help since the elections are in June.  So I need a contact
that can provide me with a decision quickly.

Thanks for any help,

Breck Baldwin

breck@linc.cis.upenn.edu

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (01/23/90)

In <19222@netnews.upenn.edu> breck@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Breck Baldwin) writes:
>Does anyone know who I might contact at Apple for the purpose of
>getting Apple to donate some hardware to Civic Forum in Czechoslovakia?
>[Civic Forum definition deleted and Mac justification deleted]
>It's pretty obvious that this could be a public relations coup in
>addition to an excellent way for Apple to get its foot in the door of
>an country that will be buying many computers in the near future.
>[remainder deleted]

I cannot provide a contact to Apple, but I would wholeheartedly support
Apple's doing this.  The more hardware (and technical support?) they could
provide, the better -- if they do it "big" enough, they'll get a TON of
free publicity from the news networks.  And, besides, isn't this what the
Mac is all about: "the computer for the rest of us" ?

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668        CNG-er-PU4-er-MNI Development       2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113