[comp.sys.mac] Re^2: Slightly damaged disks

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (01/24/90)

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:

>In article <90018.155543SEK@PSUVM.BITNET> SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu
>(Sonja Kueppers) writes:
>>I've noticed a number of times that if a floppy disk is damaged enough that
>>the disk can't be repaired "This disk needs minor repairs...blah blah,"
>>but not damaged enough to be unreadable, it is impossible to reformat the
>>disk from the finder.  I usually stick it in an IBM to format it.

>"This disk needs minor repairs" means that there is something wrong with
>the disk's Desktop file.

>If you hold down command-option-shift-Tab while inserting a disk, the format
>will be called before the Finder attempts to mount the disk. This should
>let you format even a disk with an impossible-to-repair Desktop.

>Alternatively, if you want to recover the data on the floppy, you can
>insert it under a program that can see and delete invisible files (e.g.

Or, you can hold down the command-shift-option keys while you insert
the disk.  This will cause the desktop the the volume being mounted to
be rebuilt.

Or, you can try running Disk First Aid on the disk.

+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com