[comp.sys.mac] unix compress and uncompress

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2841) (01/17/90)

Does anyone have code for unix compress and uncompress?
Obviously I would like to shorten my download times on big text files.
Jim

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (01/18/90)

In article <7674@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>Does anyone have code for unix compress and uncompress?
>Obviously I would like to shorten my download times on big text files.
>Jim

I once saw a program that would take a compress file and package it up so that
it looked like a MacBinary Stuffit file.  Stuffit does LZW compression, just
like compress, so this could work.  At the Mac end, you would use Stuffit to
uncompress it.  Unfortunately, the program didn't quite work for me...

Anyone have any ideas on this?
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (01/18/90)

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:

>In article <7674@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>Does anyone have code for unix compress and uncompress?
>>Obviously I would like to shorten my download times on big text files.
>>Jim

>I once saw a program that would take a compress file and package it up so that
>it looked like a MacBinary Stuffit file.  Stuffit does LZW compression, just
>like compress, so this could work.  At the Mac end, you would use Stuffit to
>uncompress it.  Unfortunately, the program didn't quite work for me...

>Anyone have any ideas on this?
>--

>Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

This sounds like mcvert or xbin.  Mcvert will take a binhex file
and convert it to the *.sit file that it probably originally was.
Kermit or Zmodem would then allow downloading to your Mac where
StuffIt would unstuff it.

     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

gkd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Keith Miyake) (01/18/90)

I have a copy of MacCompress (which is free, but not in the public domain).
MacCompress can decompress files which have been compressed using the UNIX
compress command.  It also has an option to change CR/LF when compressing/
decompressing.

I think that the file can be found at sumex.

I've used it a few times for downloading text files and it works well.

Keith

jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (01/19/90)

In article <6492@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gkd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Keith Miyake) writes:
>I have a copy of MacCompress (which is free, but not in the public domain).
>MacCompress can decompress files which have been compressed using the UNIX
>compress command.  It also has an option to change CR/LF when compressing/
>decompressing.
>
>I think that the file can be found at sumex.
>
>I've used it a few times for downloading text files and it works well.

I, too, have used MacCompress.  It is very good, I have had no problems
with it.

In fact, the way I transfer files from my account on a unix host is to tar
and compress the files, download them to my SE/030, and untar and uncompress
them.

MacCompress is available at Sumex, file info-mac/util/maccompress-32.hqx.

If anyone is interested, I believe that I got tar for the Mac from Sumex
as well.

Cheers,

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Professional Student           Kansas State University
Internet: jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu      Dept of Computing & Information Sciences

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (01/22/90)

In article <7674@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
> Does anyone have code for unix compress and uncompress?
> Obviously I would like to shorten my download times on big text files.
> Jim

There is a PD/ShareWare version of Compress for the Mac called,
of all things, MacCompress. I believe that it is available from
the sumex-aim archives as well as the listserver at rice
(LISTSERV@icsa.rice.edu). I am not sure of the filename on sumex
as I dont have ftp access, but the name on rice is:

	UTIL/MACCOMPRESS-32.HQX

I have used this util with success downloading from a Sun 3 to a
[Mac II | Mac IIx | SE | SE/30 ]. The only problem that I have
had with it is that sometimes the get corrupted when created on
the Mac. I have never had problems extracting an archive created
on the Sun.

Another alternative is to use zoo on the *nix system. There is a
util called MacBooz (ver 2.0) that will extract zoo archives. It
does not appear to be available from rice or sumex, but I could
be persuaded to mail it out or post it (depending on response).

Hope this helps,
Randy Thompson                |             uunet!smsdpg!rht -- Office
SMS Data Products Group, Inc. |   uunet!smsdpg!tailchasr!rht -- Mac@home
703/648-9400                  |
           * Constructive criticism is always appreciated *
             Send Flames to:  Trash%tailchasr@smsdpg.UUCP

rpugh@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Robert D. Pugh) (01/24/90)

In article <433@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) writes:
>In article <7674@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>> Does anyone have code for unix compress and uncompress?
    {Remainder deleted}

>There is a PD/ShareWare version of Compress for the Mac called,
>of all things, MacCompress. I believe that it is available from
>the sumex-aim archives as well as the listserver at rice
>(LISTSERV@icsa.rice.edu). I am not sure of the filename on sumex
>as I dont have ftp access, but the name on rice is:
>
>	UTIL/MACCOMPRESS-32.HQX

At sumex it is "info-mac/util/maccompress-32.hqx".  I have used it quite
a bit and have never had any trouble as long as I remember to transfer
the files in binary mode instead of ascii (text).

>Another alternative is to use zoo on the *nix system. There is a
>util called MacBooz (ver 2.0) that will extract zoo archives. It
>does not appear to be available from rice or sumex, but I could
>be persuaded to mail it out or post it (depending on response).
    {Remainder deleted}

From the message traffic here it is obvious that a lot of people
who read this board are both Mac users and Unix mainframe users.
I encourage you to post MacBooz on comp.mac.binaries.  If you decide
not to, please e-mail me a copy.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Pugh                          Internet: rpugh@galaxy.afit.af.mil

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (01/24/90)

> >Another alternative is to use zoo on the *nix system. There is a
> >util called MacBooz (ver 2.0) that will extract zoo archives. It
> >does not appear to be available from rice or sumex, but I could
> >be persuaded to mail it out or post it (depending on response).

> From the message traffic here it is obvious that a lot of people
> who read this board are both Mac users and Unix mainframe users.
> I encourage you to post MacBooz on comp.mac.binaries.  If you decide
> not to, please e-mail me a copy.

MacBooz version 2.0 was posted on comp.binaries.mac a while back (and
actually made it through in a couple of months).

If anyone wants a copy of the program, let me know.  I would be glad to
send it out.

I wrote MacBooz 2.0.  Currently I am working on version 2.1 which fixes
a little list manager bug, uses the full extended filenames provided by
Zoo, and allows multiple open archives (the last one is just to see if
I can do it :-).

I hope to have this finished in the next couple of weeks.  I will then
post it as well.  I thought I would have it out before Christmas, but
lots of things seemed to have popped up...

There are additional features I am working on including as well, and I
am still taking requests, so feel free to write.

I am also looking for the most recent source for Unzip for the Mac.  (The
two programs may get merged...)  I would appreciate hearing from anyone
who has a copy of this.  (I don't have access to any archives.)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu