[comp.sys.mac] Shareware Upgrades

jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) (01/23/90)

I have found both StuffIt and Remember? very useful, and therefore I am
thinking about keeping each on my hard disk and sending in the shareware
fees.  However, I would like to know the current status of each.  Are they
both still supported?  I seem to remember hearing something about StuffIt going
commercial... is 1.5.1 the last shareware version?  The Remember? docs say
that version 2.0 is forthcoming in a few months, but the docs were written
well over a year ago... is 2.0 still forthcoming?

If you have any information on these programs, please let me know.  If you
know that they are NOT being continued, please suggest alternatives.  THANKS!

Jay Boisseau

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (01/24/90)

In article <23549@ut-emx.UUCP> jay@ut-emx.UUCP (Jay Boisseau) writes:
>I seem to remember hearing something about StuffIt going
>commercial... is 1.5.1 the last shareware version?  The Remember? docs say
>that version 2.0 is forthcoming in a few months, but the docs were written
>well over a year ago... is 2.0 still forthcoming?
>If you have any information on these programs, please let me know.

In regrards to your posting, Raymond Lau, author of StuffIt and SFVolINIT
has gone commerical.  The new verison of SFVolINIT is now called Shortcut.
(you can find files, create new folders, rename/delete files/folders
with an option to UnStuffIt at any Open or Save dialog)
You can see the ad for it in MacWorld/User.  As for StuffIt, the new version
will be called StuffIt Deluxe.  It will have virus detection (since you can't
detect viruses in archives until they're decompressed), multiple (I think)
decompression, a new algorithm for decompressing and I believe better use
of MultiFinder and Background opeations.  He still plans to continue
"supposedly" with his shareware upgrades for StuffIt but it won't have nice
features like deluxe.
The company is Aladdin Systems Inc.
Willi