[comp.sys.mac] AltWDEF 1.3 FINALLY POSTED! HOORAY!

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (WindChooser 1.12 organizer) (01/21/90)

For all those who have been complaining about the "bugs" (bad design)
of the "Alex's Shrinker" WDEF in WindChooser 1.12, AltWDEF has been
posted to comp.binaries.mac.

I submitted it about 12 times, and after much waiting for megs of silly
commercial demos, it has finally appeared.

If you like "Alex's Shrinker", you'll love AltWDEF. It fixes the "bug" of
having the the window move (possibly off-screen) after you move the icon,
and there are lots of customization options.

Clarity disclaimer: I didn't have any hand in writing AltWDEF. I've just
been waiting feverishly for it to appear because of problems with
WindChooser.

---

Those of you who like other options of WindChooser 1.12, I will be working
on it this weekend. On the agenda are compatibility bug fixes and a box
to do VAX-style "push-back" of windows.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (01/21/90)

In article <3666@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (WindChooser 1.12 organizer) writes:
>For all those who have been complaining about the "bugs" (bad design)
>of the "Alex's Shrinker" WDEF in WindChooser 1.12, AltWDEF has been
>posted to comp.binaries.mac.
>If you like "Alex's Shrinker", you'll love AltWDEF. It fixes the "bug" of
>having the the window move (possibly off-screen) after you move the icon,
>and there are lots of customization options.
>Clarity disclaimer: I didn't have any hand in writing AltWDEF. I've just
>been waiting feverishly for it to appear because of problems with
>WindChooser.

Funny!  I just downloaded version 1.5.3 from GEnie!
Willi

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) (01/21/90)

In article <3666@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (WindChooser 1.12 organizer) writes:
>For all those who have been complaining about the "bugs" (bad design)
>of the "Alex's Shrinker" WDEF in WindChooser 1.12, AltWDEF has been
>posted to comp.binaries.mac.

I, too, was waiting for AltWDEF.  Alas, it turns out that AltWDEF and
MS Excel 1.5 aren't compatible.  (Strangely enough, WindChooser and Excel
work just fine...)

AltWDEF works just fine with Excel 2.2 but I don't want to give up the speed
of 1.5.  AltWDEF also works fine with MS Word 4.0.

I don't mind Alex's Shrinker 1.2 all that much.

			--Bob

In article <5563@arisia.Xerox.COM> ebert@arisia.UUCP (Robert Ebert) writes:
>I, too, was waiting for AltWDEF.  Alas, it turns out that AltWDEF and
>MS Excel 1.5 aren't compatible.  (Strangely enough, WindChooser and Excel
>work just fine...)
>AltWDEF works just fine with Excel 2.2 but I don't want to give up the speed
>of 1.5.  AltWDEF also works fine with MS Word 4.0.
>I don't mind Alex's Shrinker 1.2 all that much.
>			--Bob

AltWDEF 1.5.3 which I just posted to Sumex and comp.binaries.mac fix this
problem.  You can define which applications to exclude from the control panel.
AltWDEF doesn't work too great with Excel or Microphone II so you can select
them as applications to exclude now!  Cool huh?
Willi

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/23/90)

In article <3666@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (WindChooser 1.12 organizer) writes:
>For all those who have been complaining about the "bugs" (bad design)
>of the "Alex's Shrinker" WDEF in WindChooser 1.12, AltWDEF has been
>posted to comp.binaries.mac.

The only problem with AltWDEF is whoever wrote it doesn't seem
to know much about the mac.  They like to confuse radio buttons
with check boxes.  BLECH!

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

kc24+@andrew.cmu.edu (Keith Alexander Chapman) (01/24/90)

It's a nice INIT, but I've found a couple problems with it:

First, and not too bad, is that the "like apple" title bar boxes are
2 pixels too tall, which is a little distracting.

Second, and more serious, is that it interferes with ResEdit (version 1.2d1
and 1.1b3, at least).  Running on an SE with 2.5M RAM, when I try to open
certain resources (many kinds, but I see no pattern), I get the message:
"Couldn't get memory for a resource. [-192]"

I know the problem isn't synergy with other INITs, but beyond that, I've
no idea.  BTW I discovered problem 2 trying to fix problem 1.

Keith

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (01/25/90)

In article <IZjHWa600io401bVlP@andrew.cmu.edu>, kc24+@andrew (Keith Alexander Chapman) writes:
>It's a nice INIT, but I've found a couple problems with it:

Also, clicks into the shrink box are wrong; they aren't cancelled if
you drag out of the box, and they also get passed on to whatever's
underneath, which severely limits the usefulness of the shrink
feature.

>Keith

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick