[comp.sys.mac] Mac STats

gregory@eos.UUCP (Kevin Gregory) (01/20/90)

I'm looking into getting a Statistics package for the Macintosh in our
office. Does anyone out there have any experience with Mac stats that they
would care to share with me? I am interested in info on Systat in particular.
Thanks in advance.

kevin gregory
gregory@eos.arc.nasa.gov

phoffman@well.UUCP (Paul Hoffman) (01/24/90)

gregory@eos.UUCP (Kevin Gregory) writes:

>I'm looking into getting a Statistics package for the Macintosh in our
>office. Does anyone out there have any experience with Mac stats that they
>would care to share with me? I am interested in info on Systat in particular.
>Thanks in advance.

Plug alert: I work for Abacus Concepts, makers of StatView. If you read the
reviews in MacUser, Macworld, etc., Statview wins hands down for power and
ease of use. Abacus has two products: Statview for straight-ahead stats and
SuperANOVA for (as you might guess) GLM. If you want more info, free liter-
ature, etc., give them a call at 800/666-STAT. If you're looking for GLM,
be sure to ask for a demo disk of SuperANOVA; great product that has been
wowing the users since it was released a few months ago.

hesterbe@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Tim Hesterberg) (01/25/90)

In article <6005@eos.UUCP> gregory@eos.UUCP (Kevin Gregory) writes:
>I'm looking into getting a Statistics package for the Macintosh in our
>office. Does anyone out there have any experience with Mac stats that they
>would care to share with me? I am interested in info on Systat in particular.

I've seen Statview, DataDesk, Systat, MacSpin and JMP.  Systat stands out as
having the worst Macintosh interface; it is a program ported from other
systems, and it shows.  FastStat and Mystat are crippled versions of Systat.
You may want to use Systat if it does things that you need to do that the
other programs can't do.

The other programs have a variety of features, including point cloud
rotations (DataDesk, MacSpin, JMP) and linking points in different windows
(select a point in one window, say a plot or list of data, and it is
highlighted in other windows) (DataDesk, MacSpin, JMP, ?Statview).