[comp.sys.mac] Problems converting sounds to snd resources

joe@gistdev.gist.com (Joe Brownlee) (01/14/90)

I have a pair of sound files that I have acquired.  I use Master Juggler 1.5,
so I must convert them to 'snd ' resources, and I generally use the Sound
Converter utility that comes with MJ without any problem.  However, on the
two sounds in question, playing them results only in static, as if the sound
converter thinks that the sounds are in a certain format, but they are not.

The sound files have type/creator of FSSD/FSSC (which I belive I have been able
to convert before).  They have no resource forks (they are all data).  I am
wondering if there are other sound type/creator combinations that I could
try that Sound Converter might convert.  The manual doesn't say which file
types it will convert by type/creator, but it does list the following
applications as "popular sound programs" with which it is supposed to be
compatible: SoundEdit, SoundWave, and SoundCap.  I do not currently have any
other sound conversion programs, but could get one if someone could supply
a pointer.

Could anyone give me any ideas about what I might try to convert them?  I can
live without a couple of extra sounds, but this problem has me curious now
more than anything.  Thanks for any help!

========== Joe Brownlee,  Global Information Systems Technology, Inc. =======O==
         1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, Illinois  61874   (217) 352-1165
        E-mail: joe@gistdev.gist.com  <or>  {uunet,uiucuxc}!gistdev!joe
 The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank. -- Montgomery Scott
       Go ahead.  Pay attention to anything that _I_ say.  Start a trend.

ldo@peace.waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro) (01/22/90)

In the referenced posting, joe@gistdev.gist.com (Joe Brownlee)
has some sound files which produce only static when converted for
use with Master Juggler.

It sounds like these are compressed sound files. Have a look at
at the data fork of the file with a tool like Fedit Plus--if the first
four bytes are the letters "HCOM", then it's a "Huffman delta" compressed
file.

Somewhere on the net there is the source to a program called SoundPlay,
which includes assembly-language code for doing the decompression.

joe@gistdev.gist.com (Joe Brownlee) (01/25/90)

In article <1990Jan22.060740.25672@peace.waikato.ac.nz> ldo@peace.waikato.ac.nz
(Lawrence D'Oliveiro) writes:
>In the referenced posting, joe@gistdev.gist.com (Joe Brownlee)
>has some sound files which produce only static when converted for
>use with Master Juggler.
>[suggests the sounds may be comporessed]

Thanks to all who sent e-mail on this -- you helped me solve my problem.  The
utility "Sound->snd" was able to convert the FSSD/FSSC files (which may have
indeed been compressed).  The only problem was that it often converts the
sounds to the wrong speed, but I have gotten quite adept at using ResEdit to
change the speed of 'snd ' resources after consulting IM-V.

Again thanks to one and all!!!