[comp.sys.mac] Novell networks? Banyan, Maybe?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/24/90)

cjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Chris Colbourn) writes:

>My department is considering installing a Novell network for a
>mixed environment of Macs (Plus, SEs, SE/30, and IIxs), and PCs
>(compatibles and PS/2s)...

>I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's got/seen a Novell
>network working effectively and reliably with both Macs and PCs
>using the same fileserver?

You may be better off choosing Banyan, especially if you have any larger
computers or campus-wide systems to talk to.  (Yes, yes, I know: Banyan
doesn't yet talk to everything in the world, and their Mac support isn't
10000% this week--but neither is Novell's.  And don't talk about TOPS
and serious networks in the same sentence, they aren't compatible.)  At
least have the local Banyan office come talk to you.  They have very
smart plans for the future.  And they can certainly bridge more
dissimilar network types in one box than anyone else.

	Alex

softa@vax.SPD.3Com.Com (Douglas Phillips) (01/25/90)

In article <1990Jan24.093801.16265@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us> alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
>cjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Chris Colbourn) writes:
>
>>My department is considering installing a Novell network for a
>>mixed environment of Macs (Plus, SEs, SE/30, and IIxs), and PCs
>>(compatibles and PS/2s)...
>

>You may be better off choosing Banyan
>	Alex

Why doesn't anyone think of 3Com when they are looking for Mac + PC
networks.  We have been shipping a Mac product for close to four years.
The first version was a basic volume server, but we have been shipping 3+
(a real file server) for over 2.5 years and we can turn in 8 times
the performance of Appleshare on a busy network.  If you still don't
think it is worth looking into ask ANYONE at Acius, they gave up
on all the other because they were way to slow and now are real fans
of 3+.  Also we make Apples Ethernet card for them and sell the same
card ourselves for $100 less (yet 3 times as many people buy the Apple
card at the higher price)

Douglas