[comp.sys.mac] Please post to comp.mac.binaries!

naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) (01/22/90)

The subject line says it all. Many people cannot ftp and do not subscribe
to bulletin boards. Even people who do FTP cannot search through the loads
of material at an archive like info-mac. If the binaries posting is untolerably
slow, then send programs to both places. Or put a note in comp.sys.mac with
the 'header' to your binary and a catching subject line (XXX posted to
info-mac) so that those who can ftp will know whether they should bother.

- Jeff Naiman (naiman@yale.edu)

wlipa@oracle.oracle.com (William Lipa) (01/25/90)

In article <12303@cs.yale.edu> naiman-jeffrey@CS.YALE.EDU (Jeffrey Naiman) writes:
>The subject line says it all. Many people cannot ftp and do not subscribe
>to bulletin boards. Even people who do FTP cannot search through the loads
>of material at an archive like info-mac. If the binaries posting is untolerably
>slow, then send programs to both places.

Actually, all of the material stored in the Info-Mac archives at sumex
is available through a mailserver for those on Bitnet or who otherwise
cannot use FTP. As a result, everyone who can send Internet mail can
(theoretically) access the archive.

As far as searching though the vast number of files, all I can offer you
are the listing of recent files (/help/recent-files.txt), the listing of
all files (/help/all-files.txt), and the abstract files which contain the
text headers for every file in a given directory.

Bill Lipa
Info-Mac