[comp.sys.mac] NFNT family names...clarification...

shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) (01/24/90)

A while back, I posted a message asking how to change the annoying family
names of the Adobe Postscript NFNT's.  Thanks to everyone who responded that
I should use Font Harmony/NFNT 1.0 BUT let me clarify...

What I want to do is change the NFNT family name for an already merged family.
For instance, in the UNIVERS font family, there are several NFNT families,
Univers 55, L Univers 45 Light, C Univers Condensed, etc.  Each one of these
fonts is considered its own "NFNT" with its own substyles (ie bold, italic,
etc.).

My question ishow do I change L Univers 45 Light to just "Univers Light"?
I've tried sing ResEdit to change the NFNT name, and it seems to work, BUT
it also seems to leave a copy of the "old" name available so BOTH the
original name AND the new name appear in the font menus...

Any suggestions?

Sam Hahn
shahn@hstbme.mit.edu

In article <1990Jan24.001341.3232@athena.mit.edu>, shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) writes:
> A while back, I posted a message asking how to change the annoying family
> names of the Adobe Postscript NFNT's.  Thanks to everyone who responded that
> I should use Font Harmony/NFNT 1.0 BUT let me clarify...
>
> What I want to do is change the NFNT family name for an already merged family.
> For instance, in the UNIVERS font family, there are several NFNT families,
> Univers 55, L Univers 45 Light, C Univers Condensed, etc.  Each one of these
> fonts is considered its own "NFNT" with its own substyles (ie bold, italic,
> etc.).
>
> My question is how do I change L Univers 45 Light to just "Univers Light"?
> I've tried sing ResEdit to change the NFNT name, and it seems to work, BUT
> it also seems to leave a copy of the "old" name available so BOTH the
> original name AND the new name appear in the font menus...

I've been meaning to do this for a while, so I just did it. There's a trick.

First, open up the NFNT. On my suitcase, there were no names attached. If
yours has names, fix them.

Next, open up the FOND. Change the names to what you want them to look like
(mine now say, for instance, "Univers L45 Light" since some Font menus
sometimes truncate -- so you cans till see which one you're choosing). Make
sure they match the anmes in the NFNT, if any.

Finally, select the FONT resource, then do an "open general" from the File
menu of Resedit. If you just double-click, it won't show you the zero point
FONT resources, which is what you need to modify.

use "Get Info" on each of the zero point FONT resources, making sure the
name you use is the same as the name in the FOND.

Clsoe and save. Do this on a COPY. Inspect it with Suitcase (or whatever)
and it should now only have the new names.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Everyone is not entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to
    their informed opinion. -- H. Ellison
Knowledge should be spread, ignorance kept to yourself -- C. Von Rospach

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (01/25/90)

In article <1990Jan24.001341.3232@athena.mit.edu> shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn) writes:
>My question ishow do I change L Univers 45 Light to just "Univers Light"?
>I've tried sing ResEdit to change the NFNT name, and it seems to work, BUT
>it also seems to leave a copy of the "old" name available so BOTH the
>original name AND the new name appear in the font menus...
>
>Any suggestions?

The first suggestion is that you don't want to do this. Both Apple and Adobe
specifically recommend AGAINST this practice. Since Apple now recommends that
progams remember font assignment by name, you will make your files non-
transportable to other Macs this way. Or at best it will cause you a lot of
pain re-establishing the font assignments. For historical reasons, and for
ongoing reasons, Microsoft is the culprit to blame for this mess.

The way to rename the font is to rename the FOND resource. You should not ever
name NFNTs.

If in addition you want to remove the style variants from your Font menus,
simply delete the style variant FOND resources. For example, if you have a
Font menu that displays Palatino, B Palatino Bold, I Palatino Italic, and
BI Palatino BoldItalic, then you can simply delete the FOND resources for the
last three, leaving Palatino intact. Your Font menu will show only Palatino,
and you can use the style menu to apply the style variations - the linkage will
be correct and the proper bitmap font will display.

Be careful. If you inadvertently delete the Palatino FOND, you will have a lot
of unreferenced NFNTs in your system taking up room but doing you no good. It
is painstaking work to figure out which ones are unreferenced so that you can
remove them.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

In article <38059@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Finally, select the FONT resource, then do an "open general" from the File
>menu of Resedit. If you just double-click, it won't show you the zero point
>FONT resources, which is what you need to modify.

>use "Get Info" on each of the zero point FONT resources, making sure the
>name you use is the same as the name in the FOND.

>Clsoe and save. Do this on a COPY. Inspect it with Suitcase (or whatever)
>and it should now only have the new names.

Chuq is mostly correct here, but zero-length FONTs are only included with
FONT families, ***NOT*** NFNT families. You SHOULD NOT create a zero-length
FONT resource for NFNT resource families.

If your FOND resources point to FONTs, then you should have a zero-length FONT
resource as well. This resource isn't really needed or used by newer systems;
it is only to provide compatibility with VERY old systems that didn't have FOND
resources. Pre-1986 or so. However, the Font/DA Mover will complain if it
doesn't find the zero-length FONT, but only when you try to remove a complete
set of FONTs (say, all the New York).

So, Apple, why should the Font/DA Mover complain at this point, and why should
it leave orphaned FONT resources around? Seems unnecessary and unfriendly,
Apple. I'd call it a bug.

--

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) writes:

>Chuq is mostly correct here, but zero-length FONTs are only included with
>FONT families, ***NOT*** NFNT families. You SHOULD NOT create a zero-length
>FONT resource for NFNT resource families.

I didn't create any. I modified the ones that were already in the suitcase
(my Univers fonts, for what it is worth, were downloaded from the Adobe
forum that way...)