[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: "NULL" printer driver

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/23/90)

For some silly reason, there are programmers who feel that not
having a printer connected to a Mac warrants an alert.  When this
is a DA that is used a lot, it can be very annoying.

Does anyone know of a way to fake the system into appearing like
it has a printer without actually having one?  I can't just install
a driver and choose it, since it takes over my printer port, which
is where my modem is (my MIDI interface is on the modem port).

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

ephraim@leander.think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (01/23/90)

In article <1990Jan23.034921.569@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>For some silly reason, there are programmers who feel that not
>having a printer connected to a Mac warrants an alert.  When this
>is a DA that is used a lot, it can be very annoying.
>
>Does anyone know of a way to fake the system into appearing like
>it has a printer without actually having one?

No, but it's pretty easy to turn off alerts if they're genuine
resource-based alerts.

Open the offending software with ResEdit, find the offending alert,
choose "Display as Text" from the ALRT menu, and turn off the staging
bits.  (That is, uncheck the "drawn" boxes.) The alert will not be
drawn, but just return to the caller.  You can turn off beeps at the
same time.
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142
        One of the flaws in the anarchic bopper society was
        the ease with which such crazed rumors could spread.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/24/90)

As quoted from <1990Jan23.034921.569@smsc.sony.com> by dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott):
+---------------
| Does anyone know of a way to fake the system into appearing like
| it has a printer without actually having one?  I can't just install
| a driver and choose it, since it takes over my printer port, which
| is where my modem is (my MIDI interface is on the modem port).
+---------------

Look around for a Chooser document called "Preview".  It's a screen previewer
which is implemented as a "printer" (i.e. select it in Chooser, then when you
print something the Preview window pops up with the "printed" document in it).

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (01/24/90)

In article <1990Jan23.034921.569@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>For some silly reason, there are programmers who feel that not
>having a printer connected to a Mac warrants an alert.  When this
>is a DA that is used a lot, it can be very annoying.

How RUDE!

>Does anyone know of a way to fake the system into appearing like
>it has a printer without actually having one?  I can't just install
>a driver and choose it, since it takes over my printer port, which
>is where my modem is (my MIDI interface is on the modem port).

Use the 'Preview' printer driver.  What it does is, when you 'print' to it,
it draws a representation of the printout on the screen, tying up no
printer ports.  It *should* be in the archives, or I'll post it if requested.

>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

	--chris sterritt
	chris@adms-rad.unisys.com

>"Never call a crazed psychotic a crazed psychotic."

	S/he may call you one back... :-)

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/25/90)

In article <198@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM> chris@ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) writes:
>Use the 'Preview' printer driver.  What it does is, when you 'print' to it,
>it draws a representation of the printout on the screen, tying up no
>printer ports.  It *should* be in the archives, or I'll post it if requested.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I grabbed Preview from sumex and I'll give it a try tonight.