[comp.sys.mac] Priority scheme for comp.sys.mac.binaries?

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (01/21/90)

  I've been complaining about the stuff showing up in comp.sys.mac.binaries
with out providing any possibile solutions other than "keep demos out."
Not terribly helpful on my part. Cory Kempf suggested to me that a priority
scheme might work and I tend to agree with him. Several classifications
could be created and all submissions could be catagorized on submission.
So, instead of one queue, multiple queues would be running. When the highest
priority queue was exhaused, stuff would come out of the next one. (This
is hardly original thinking, of course.) Given the available bandwidth,
some things might never get out, but at least they'd still have a chance
and the "important" stuff might get out sooner. Defining "important" is
the trick. I'll suggest the following with the assumption that suggestions
for changes will swamp me. None of this is binding, of course, as I don't
have any control over the distribution itself.

Classifications:
  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
  5) Multipart shareware.
  6) Demo/crippleware.

  I remember when Macintosh binaries first started appearing on the net
and then when the first multipart binaries started appearing. Looking back on
those times it seems that a lot of the best stuff fit into one article.
With StuffIt available, even some reasonably sizeable packages will fit into
one article. These smaller packages frequently fill a gap in commercial or
are an example of something new and innovative. The larger ones are frequently
demos, technical notes (something large that I *do* like to see), and games.
(Exceptions do exist, of course.) As I'd prefer to see the gaps filled and
innovative ideas, my classification scheme favors such things. It also should
enable more people to get their ideas out rapidly.

  Questions, comments, flames, etc most welcome.

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (01/22/90)

In article <1330@husc6.harvard.edu> kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) writes:

[free translation of article: ' my proposal for a classification
scheme for comp.mac.binaries is:]

>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

I agree with this scheme, but wouldn't mind if the multipart commercial
demos were left out. There are enough server machines, so an announcement
would suffice.

Remco

 Remco Bruijne      USENET: remco@tnoibbc    PHONE: +31 15 606437

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (01/22/90)

David C. Kovar suggests a priority scheme for comp.binaries.mac:

>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.
>  Questions, comments, flames, etc most welcome.

This is in my opinion a very reasonable classification, and besides saying so
I also want to take the opportunity to add my voice to the growing grumbles
of those who are very unhappy with the way that comp.binaries.mac is
currently being run.

Who *does* decide the order of posting in that group anyhow, and how come we
haven't heard from him/her yet? This discussion has been going on some time
now, and we might at least get an opinion or justification from the moderator.

Leo Breebaart (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (01/22/90)

From article <1330@husc6.harvard.edu>, by kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar):
> [deleted]
> Several classifications could be created and all submissions could be
> catagorized on submission. So, instead of one queue, multiple queues
> would be running. When the highest priority queue was exhaused, stuff
> would come out of the next one.
> [deleted]
> Classifications:
>   1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>   2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>   3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>   4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>   4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>   5) Multipart shareware.
>   6) Demo/crippleware.

Hooray! I also an annoyed by the large volume of traffic created by
the Demo/Crippleware products and the effect that they have on
other "important" software.

I am not saying that demos, etc.  shouldnt get posted, but they
should go to the back of the queue [IMHO]. I would love to see
the above listed scheme implemented even tho it also has its
failings. It would be nice if the moderators could monitor c.s.m
to see the things that folks are hollering for (for example the
mac port of uupc) but I realize that this is impractical. I could
even forsee posters getting friends to "holler" for their product
so that it would get out, generating even more traffic than there
already is.

No system will satisfy all, but this one has a good chance of
satisfying most of the folks. Go for it!
Randy Thompson                |             uunet!smsdpg!rht -- Office
SMS Data Products Group, Inc. |   uunet!smsdpg!tailchasr!rht -- Mac@home
703/648-9400                  |
           * Constructive criticism is always appreciated *
             Send Flames to:  Trash%tailchasr@smsdpg.UUCP

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (01/23/90)

DK> Classifications:
DK>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
DK>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
DK>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
DK>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
DK>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
DK>  5) Multipart shareware.
DK>  6) Demo/crippleware.

I couldn't agree with this scheme more. I cast my vote.
 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (01/23/90)

>DK> Classifications:
>DK>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>DK>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>DK>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>DK>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>DK>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>DK>  5) Multipart shareware.
>DK>  6) Demo/crippleware.

mostly I like this idea, except that I think that Technotes should
be given higher priority, probably 1.5 or 2.5.  The quick desemination
of this sort of info benefits everyone in the mac community.

Josh Hodas

..
..
..

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

jpb@umbio.miami.edu (Joe Block) (01/23/90)

In article <1330@husc6.harvard.edu> kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) writes:
>So, instead of one queue, multiple queues would be running. When the highest
>priority queue was exhaused, stuff would come out of the next one. (This
< Stuff Deleted>

>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

How about
1) Latest virus buster software
2) 1 article freeware
3) Multipart freeware
4) Misc stuff
5) Single article shareware
6) Multiple article shareware

And eliminate the crippleware.  Just have 1 article telling what site(s) have
it available for anonymous FTP.  Why should the net pay for some company's
advertising?

--
Joe Block         jpb@umbio.miami.edu
There was a young poet named Dan, whose poetry would never scan,

jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff Nelson) (01/23/90)

> DK> Classifications:

> DK>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
> DK>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
> DK>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
> DK>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
> DK>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
> DK>  5) Multipart shareware.
> DK>  6) Demo/crippleware.
>
> I couldn't agree with this scheme more. I cast my vote.

I suggest the following classification be added to the above list:
age.  That is, the older the submission gets, the higher its priority
becomes.  That way it is eventually guaranteed to appear on comp.binaries.mac.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet:  jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
-Affiliation given for identification purposes only.

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) (01/23/90)

In article <7667@shlump.nac.dec.com> jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff Nelson) writes:
>> DK> Classifications:
>
>> DK>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>> DK>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>> DK>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>> DK>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>> DK>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>> DK>  5) Multipart shareware.
>> DK>  6) Demo/crippleware.
>>
>I suggest the following classification be added to the above list:
>age.  That is, the older the submission gets, the higher its priority
>becomes.  That way it is eventually guaranteed to appear on comp.binaries.mac.

I'd suggest NOT adopting a increasing w/age priority scheme.  If there's lots
of new useful freeware or shareware, I'd rather see that than an older
commercial demo.  Basically, comp.binaries.mac should not be used for
advertising for commercial products.  This is, essentially, what cripple-
ware is.  A priority scheme lets the more 'important' information get out
first, but also provides a reasonable way to keep the binaries coming.

Another useful 'feature' for the group might be a regular (weekly) update of
what's queued.  So we know what to expect and what has arrived for submission.

All this, of course, places an increased burden on the moderator.  (Why
don't we ever hear from him/her?)  But the increased workload seems little
enough.

			--Bob

news@calgary.UUCP (Network News Manager) (01/23/90)

From: sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp)

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) writes:
> [stuff about complaints about comp.binaries.mac]
>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

     YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

     I totaly agree with Mr. Kovar's sentiments.  It is most annoying
to wait for the 12 part piece of demo/crippleware to pass by and
something interesting to come along.  I would even go so far as to
suggest a new group altogether.  Something like
comp.binaries.mac.demos so that I can unsubscribe to the newsgroup.
After all, the corporations are not paying for this net are they ?  So
why should they be allowed to sell their stuff through it !?!?

	maurice
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (01/23/90)

In article <1330@husc6.harvard.edu>, kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar)
says:

>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

I like it.  Although I really don't have much of a problem with corporations
using the net to post demos (after all, they do help support the cost of
maintaining the net!), I definitely like the proposed emphasis on freelance
shareware/freeware.

I strongly support the current method of handling the Tech Notes, though:
one big batch of them all at once, periodically.  This way, it's much harder
to miss them when they come around.  :-)

-------
Christopher Tate                    |  "And as I watch the drops of rain
                                    |   Weave their weary paths and die,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu                |   I know that I am like the rain;
{...}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |   There but for the grace of you go I."
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet                 |          -- Simon & Garfunkle

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (01/24/90)

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) writes:
>Classifications:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

I am interested in the opinion of Roger L. Long, the comp.binaries.mac
moderator.  He knows the scripts that he uses and how he can handle
various modifications.  I would be willing to let him select
whatever priority scheme he thinks suitable.  If, for example, he
finds that he would like the sole criterion to be filesize because he
can totally automate the process, i could live with this.

I would like to propose that he increase the daily flow and clear the
backlog when net traffic drops.  This happens over christmas, spring
and summer breaks.

--
William C. DenBesten  is  denbeste@bgsu.edu  or  denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

spencer@hydroplane.cis.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (01/24/90)

In article <5360@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:

>I am interested in the opinion of Roger L. Long, the comp.binaries.mac
>moderator.

	So would I.  He's been conspicuous in his absence during this
	debate.

>I would like to propose that he increase the daily flow and clear the
>backlog when net traffic drops.  This happens over christmas, spring
>and summer breaks.

	I'll cast my vote AGAINST this measure.  Short cycle times
	(lots of site only keep news around three days) combined with
	low net readership during these times would substantially
	increase the number of "I missed piece X of Y of such-and-such."
	We see that under the current system during breaks, increasing
	the net traffic during these times would only be worse.

	I will, however, cast my vote FOR the proposed criteria for
	distribution of software in this newsgroup.

-=-
Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) (01/24/90)

In article <2394@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> sharp@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca.UUCP (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>I would even go so far as to
>suggest a new group altogether.  Something like
>comp.binaries.mac.demos so that I can unsubscribe to the newsgroup.
>
>	maurice
>Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
>University of Calgary Computer Science Department
>2500 University Drive N.W.			      sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
>Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion for a new newsgroup. As a
news administrator, I would like to be able to put the demo binaries on
a shorter expire fuse, they take up soooo much room. :-) Maybe it
would be possible for it to be moderated by the same person (Roger Long,
I think). It would then be possible, if time permitted, for the
moderator to redirect demos to the proper group if someone made a
mistake and posted to c.b.mac. :-)

If I hear enough back from folks, I will initiate the new newsgroup
procedure and see if it has enough merit to pass. If not, c'est la vi.

 John Arthur Kane, Systems Analyst, Microcomputer Support and Training
 Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843  (409) 845-9999

 jak9213@helios.tamu.edu     profs: x043jk@tamvm1.tamu.edu

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (01/24/90)

From article <7065@wpi.wpi.edu>, by macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg):
> DK> Classifications:
> DK>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.

       .
       .
       .

> DK>  6) Demo/crippleware.
>
> I couldn't agree with this scheme more. I cast my vote.

Me too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/24/90)

As quoted from <2394@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> by news@calgary.UUCP (Network News Manager):
+---------------
| After all, the corporations are not paying for this net are they ?  So
| why should they be allowed to sell their stuff through it !?!?
+---------------

Wrong thing to say.  *Someone's* paying to pass all these megabytes-per-day of
news... and, unless you are paying hefty fees (on the order of hunderds a
month, at least) to read news, it isn't you.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

fry@brauer.harvard.edu (Goggles Paizsano) (01/24/90)

In article <1076@dutrun.UUCP> leo@duttnph.UUCP (Leo Breebaart) writes:
>David C. Kovar suggests a priority scheme for comp.binaries.mac:
>
>>Classifications:
>>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>>  5) Multipart shareware.
>>  6) Demo/crippleware.
>>  Questions, comments, flames, etc most welcome.
>
>This is in my opinion a very reasonable classification, and besides saying so
>I also want to take the opportunity to add my voice to the growing grumbles
>of those who are very unhappy with the way that comp.binaries.mac is
>currently being run.
>
>Who *does* decide the order of posting in that group anyhow, and how come we
>haven't heard from him/her yet? This discussion has been going on some time
>now, and we might at least get an opinion or justification from the moderator.

Two years ago I complained over the net about the moderation
of comp.binaries.mac, and I was resoundingly shouted down by
the masses who overwhelming felt that it was fine the way it
was.  It turned out that the moderator, Roger Long, made no
decisions about posting software, but just passed everything
through.  In fact, Mr. Long seemed so insulted by my suggestion
that he was doing the wrong thing, he posted that he was too
busy and didn't want to be the moderator anymore, but, as far
as I know, no one step forward to take his place.

Now everyone is coming up with schemes, algorithms, and
philosophies for managing comp.binaries.mac, and I think Mr.
Long is already doing the job under duress.  If someone else
wants to do it, let him or her volunteer.  I don't think we
should impose our will on the current moderator.

In the meantime, I vote for the establishment of
comp.binaries.mac.demo.  Incidentally, previously I was
complaining about the posting of (IMHO) silly little programs
that cost the net money, not the posting of demos.  Apparently
the latter issue has raised more ire.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (01/25/90)

In article <5360@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:

>I would like to propose that he increase the daily flow and clear the
>backlog when net traffic drops.  This happens over christmas, spring
>and summer breaks.
>William C. DenBesten  is  denbeste@bgsu.edu  or  denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

What this would mean to the netnews community which receives ..binaries
only sporadically is that we would receive less than we already do.  From
seeing the traffic here from sites asking for re-posts of portions of
binaries, it would seem more logical to strengthen, not lessen this form
of communication.  I attribute the losses to the priority that some sites
give comp.sys.mac.binaries, and news in general.  If we keep it small,
we'll get more.  I would like to cast my vote in favor of disallowing
demo programs on comp.sys.mac.binaries.--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA
russ@key.amdahl.com, ...!{pacbell,sgi,amdahl}!key!russ
-To capture the essence of an opinion takes but one lawyer.

joe@gistdev.gist.com (Joe Brownlee) (01/25/90)

writes:
>  1) Latest virus software or items of similar nature.
>  2) Original freeware that fits in one article.
>  3) Original shareware that fits in one article.
>  4) One article items that don't fit in above classifications.
>  4) Multipart freeware. [Technotes included.]
>  5) Multipart shareware.
>  6) Demo/crippleware.

While I agree with this in principle, I think that Tech Notes must have a
higher priority.  They do benefit everyone in the long-run.  I am _not_ a
fan of crippleware, though I don't mind if it's posted -- I'd just rather
see it get lowest priority (I rarely if ever save any crippleware myself).
I also don't think that 2- or 3-part free/shareware should be relegated to
the end of the queue, but I could sure do without the 10- and 12-part demos.

I do wish that there would be a little more consideration given to those who
run c.b.m, though.  Personal attacks and such don't gain anyone anything.
I'm sure that these folks are trying to serve the Mac community as best they
can without devoting their whole lives to looking at BinHex files.  Give them
a chance to consider the suggestions from this group and act on them before
you flame them.  I, for one, appreciate their service!

========== Joe Brownlee,  Global Information Systems Technology, Inc. =======O==
         1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, Illinois  61874   (217) 352-1165
        E-mail: joe@gistdev.gist.com  <or>  {uunet,uiucuxc}!gistdev!joe
 The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank. -- Montgomery Scott
       Go ahead.  Pay attention to anything that _I_ say.  Start a trend.

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (01/25/90)

In article <1076@dutrun.UUCP> leo@duttnph.UUCP (Leo Breebaart) writes:
>Who *does* decide the order of posting in that group anyhow, and how come we
>haven't heard from him/her yet? This discussion has been going on some time
>now, and we might at least get an opinion or justification from the moderator.

  I started this mess so I'd like to see if I can put the brakes on it
a bit.

  Roger Long (I think I've the name right) has been moderating the
binaries group for at least two years, maybe more. Moderation of
an information group is bad enough - you have to read through the
articles, pick the ones to go out, post them, answer hate mail,
and the like. Moderating a group that distributes software requires
all of the above, plus testing the stuff (usually) plus binhexing
it, breaking it down into net sized chunks, and posting it.

  Now scripts can do some of this, but only so much. It takes a LOT
of work. Worse still, noone notices it 'til something goes wrong.
I'm a very good example of that. As long as the postings suited my
needs I never once said "Thank you". Now it seems that my
dissatisfaction with the postings isn't limited to me (I've only heard
one person say that demos should stay and noone has objected to
the classification scheme.) but we still have to take Roger's
point of view. If he's already working at peak efficiency, even
changing his current methods is going to be a problem. If we ask
for something that requires more work he may just throw up his hands
and forget it. And I wouldn't blame him.

  Now that we've seen that a priority queue scheme is reasonably
popular, does anyone have any good ideas on how to implement it?
Keep in mind that you've got to take a number of articles that
are mailed to you, possibly glue them together, create a file that
you can move to your Mac to test, then, if it passes, break the
file into net sized chunks, put an informative header on it,
drop it into some sort of queue, and then get something out of
the queue and ship it off to the net.

  Serious suggestions for doing this would be appreciated. If we
can find a way to implement this scheme without increasing Roger's
workload we have a better chance of actually seeing it happen.

hea

In article <1356@husc6.harvard.edu> fry@brauer.harvard.edu (Goggles Paizsano) writes:
>Now everyone is coming up with schemes, algorithms, and
>philosophies for managing comp.binaries.mac, and I think Mr.
>Long is already doing the job under duress.  If someone else
>wants to do it, let him or her volunteer.  I don't think we
>should impose our will on the current moderator.

  I actually did volunteer at the time but then moved to a site without
net access and withdrew my application. I am, once again, moving to
a site without net access (my house!) and would not have a machine to
provide moderation from. Now, if the following conditions were met,
I'd be happy to moderate the group:

	1) We figure out some way to do a priority queue using scripts.
	2) Someone in the Boston area provides me with access to a
	   "well connected" machine. (If you want to be really
	   generous, I'd be happy to put a Sun in my house and get
	   a connection to NEARNet!)