[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: Logo

marcus@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (stephen.m.marcus) (01/17/90)

A colleague is looking for a suitable language to teach
her children simple programming concepts.  A language
such as Logo would be ideal.

If you have any suggestions, please mail them to:

Judy Tschirgi   att!iexist!tschirgi
                tschirgi@iexist.att.com

Thanks

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (01/18/90)

Apple bought a terrific company called Coral Software, mainly to
get their implementation of Lisp.  The company created a wonderful
language called Object Logo fot the Macintosh, and it is the joy
of my life.

The last time I talked to an Apple representative about the status
of Object Logo, I was told that any future release of the product under
an Apple label would have to wait for the release of the Lisp system.
The Lisp is out now (it's available through the Apple Program Developer's
Association catalog), but there is no sign of Object Logo.

Action: Call Apple (or APDA) and ask about it.  Unfortunately, I don't
have a number for the Apple representative here at my work desk...

Jim McCauley
Hewlett Packard Company, Cupertino CA
jem@hpulpcu3.itg.hp

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/18/90)

In article <16880004@hpisod2.HP.COM> jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
>Apple bought a terrific company called Coral Software, mainly to
>get their implementation of Lisp.  The company created a wonderful
>language called Object Logo fo[r] the Macintosh,

I second this recommendation.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (01/20/90)

In article <1990Jan18.125504.10300@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>In article <16880004@hpisod2.HP.COM> jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
>>Apple bought a terrific company called Coral Software, mainly to
>>get their implementation of Lisp.  The company created a wonderful
>>language called Object Logo fo[r] the Macintosh,
>
>I second this recommendation.
>--
>  Gerald A. Edgar

On the other hand, if you want something simple and cheap, try Viking
Technologies' miniLOGO.  This program was written by Ed Neu of Viking.

They can be reached at:

Viking Technologies
The Travelers Block
174 Bellevue Avenue
Newport, RI  02840
(401) 847-2455

This program came on their issue of UpTime Vol 2 #2, so I would think it
would be quite cheap.  It is SLOW, but it implements all of the necessary
features in a Mac fasion, and its very inexpensive.  (The Mag only costs
$20.)

-Russ
--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/21/90)

In article <1397@key.COM> russ@xanadu.key.COM (Russell Donnan) writes:

>On the other hand, if you want something simple and cheap, try Viking
>Technologies' miniLOGO.  This program was written by Ed Neu of Viking.
>would be quite cheap.  It is SLOW, but it implements all of the necessary
                              !!!!
I second this analysis.  In fact, I tried it for 5 minutes and gave up
on it because of the speed.
--

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (01/24/90)

In article <16880004@hpisod2.HP.COM> jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) writes:
>Apple bought a terrific company called Coral Software, mainly to
>get their implementation of Lisp.  The company created a wonderful
>language called Object Logo fot the Macintosh, and it is the joy
>of my life.
>
>The last time I talked to an Apple representative about the status
>of Object Logo, I was told that any future release of the product under
>an Apple label would have to wait for the release of the Lisp system.
>The Lisp is out now (it's available through the Apple Program Developer's
>Association catalog), but there is no sign of Object Logo.
>
>Action: Call Apple (or APDA) and ask about it.  Unfortunately, I don't
>have a number for the Apple representative here at my work desk...
>
>Jim McCauley
>Hewlett Packard Company, Cupertino CA
>jem@hpulpcu3.itg.hp

Laura Clark, the Product Manager for Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, asked
me to post the following response to your inquiry about Coral's Object
Logo:
-----------------------------
Apple has not finalized its plans for the re-release of Object Logo.  Object
Logo is not currently available from Apple or APDA.  Apple does not plan to
incorporate Object Logo into its Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp product.

Laura Clark
Product Manager
Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp
-----------------------------

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

laurac@Apple.COM (Laura Clark) (01/25/90)

In article <6312@internal.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) writes:

>Apple has not finalized its plans for the re-release of Object Logo.  Object
>Logo is not currently available from Apple or APDA.  Apple does not plan to
>incorporate Object Logo into its Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp product.
>
>Laura Clark
>Product Manager
>Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp

Object Logo fans -

My apologies for the brief message posted yesterday about Object Logo.  You
got the condensed version.

Apple recognizes that Object Logo is a GREAT product, and that it is sorely
missed in the marketplace.  We do want to get it back out there for sale, and
we are now dealing with some of the business issues.  I am sorry for the long
delay, and hope to have more concrete news before long.

APDA does not have any further information on Object Logo.  I will post a
message when we have made some decisions.

Thank you -

Laura Clark
Lisp Product Manager
Apple Computer, Inc.