[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: help for Lisa

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/24/90)

Yep, due to low funds, I have a second Mac.  My home Mac is now
an XL--a Lisa.  Best to hit "n" now if you aren't interested in my
observations & questions, for this is a long 'un.

Y'know, after examining this machine, I'm pretty impressed.  Why can't
the Mac have plug-in modules and "no screwdriver" assembly/disassembly,
and why did it take IBM six years to do the same with the PS/2?

Back to my requests.  Lisa (yes, and my old CP/M computer is named
Helen--what's yours named?) has MacWorks 3.0 and Finder 5.3 on her 10meg
hard disk, boots fine, and seems to run what apps are loaded already.
What I'd like is:

--What's the latest system/finder combo that works reliably?  MacWorks
version?  PD/user group improvements? INITS to use/not use?
--Who's got suggestions for how far I can take this sucker?  Can I run
PageMaker 3.0x once I get it over here?  Mac Draw II?  Modem programs?
--Who's got parts for her?  Yes, I have Sun Remarketing's number,
somewhere, and I'll try Pre-Owned Electronics in the morning, but who
else?
--Geee, with this remarkably modular construction (listening, Apple?
Nahh, this was Jobs's baby) it would be simple to speed up the clock
cycle...  Or replace the CPU board with something speedy.
--Can I attach a double-sided drive (and presumably modify the ROMs
concomitantly) here?  At least another 400K drive to what looks like the
appropriate connector on the backmost board?
--What, if any, I/O boards are/were available, or do those small slots
also take RAM?
--Can I use 'er on AppleTalk (as the control panel suggests) or
with a cable to cross-load software?
--Where the heck is the clock set, and is there a built-in real-time
clock?
--How about a larger hard disk?  How?  And dare I ask--SCSI?
--More RAM?  There's 908K free, says Finder, and two (2) memory
boards--does that mean 1Meg or 2 installed?  Maximum?
--What's likely to go on her, and what preventive measures to take?
--Does the "aspect ratio change kit" lower resolution, squeeze screen
size, or just mess with the electron gun?
--Why don't the front feet meet the ground?

Oh, and what kind of printer cable do I need for my (also included)
Imagewriter I?  Looks like 25-pin standard (***SHOCK***) RS-232 cable is
missing, since there are DB25s on both.  Whabbout DS25 to DB9 or DIN-8
for making it use Mac peripherals?  Connecting to a LaserWriter?  Fonts
for the IW--are they just "standard" IW fonts, or should I think about
ATM (in which case, *definitely* more RAM is in order!) instead?

It sure is fun watching the in-built screen saver work, and having "shut
down" turn off the power AND un-light the power button.  Just like a
Mac-][!

Now, back to the mystery of why the screen glows green after it's
black...

	Happy but puzzled,
		Alex

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (01/25/90)

In article <1990Jan24.100814.16499@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>, alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) writes:
> Yep, due to low funds, I have a second Mac.  My home Mac is now
> an XL--a Lisa.  Best to hit "n" now if you aren't interested in my
> observations & questions, for this is a long 'un.
>
> Y'know, after examining this machine, I'm pretty impressed.  Why can't
> the Mac have plug-in modules and "no screwdriver" assembly/disassembly,
See below
> and why did it take IBM six years to do the same with the PS/2?
No idea...

> Back to my requests.  Lisa (yes, and my old CP/M computer is named
> Helen--what's yours named?) has MacWorks 3.0 and Finder 5.3 on her 10meg
> hard disk, boots fine, and seems to run what apps are loaded already.
> What I'd like is:

(Where did you get your XL?) Most of your questions could be answered by
the folks at Sun Remarketing, somewhere in Logan, UT.  They currently
support the Lisa/MacXL, and have engineered some new stuff.

> --Geee, with this remarkably modular construction (listening, Apple?
> Nahh, this was Jobs's baby)

Let's not start that one, again.  The Lisa was the way it was because of
the hard work of a lot of good people.  The Mac started out the way *it* did
(a "toaster") because Job's vision was one of an appliance that people
never needed to poke into for anything.  He took over the Mac group when
he was outmaneuvered in the Lisa effort.

> Or replace the CPU board with something speedy.

Sure *looks* like a straightforward notion.  Maybe someone at Sun has looked
into doing just that...

> --Can I attach a double-sided drive (and presumably modify the ROMs
> concomitantly) here?  At least another 400K drive to what looks like the
> appropriate connector on the backmost board?
Ask Sun Remarketing.

> --What, if any, I/O boards are/were available, or do those small slots
> also take RAM?

ditto

> --Can I use 'er on AppleTalk (as the control panel suggests) or
> with a cable to cross-load software?

Yes.

> --Does the "aspect ratio change kit" lower resolution, squeeze screen
> size, or just mess with the electron gun?

Basically changes the pixel shape to square, as on the Mac.  Makes Mac
software look a lot better.  Same number/arrangement of pixels on the
screen.

> It sure is fun watching the in-built screen saver work, and having "shut
> down" turn off the power AND un-light the power button.  Just like a
> Mac-][!

Wonder where they got the idea?...

> Now, back to the mystery of why the screen glows green after it's
> black...

The phosphors on the (fairly persistent) paper-white screen include
a mix of colors.  The green one just has the longest persistence of
the lot.

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."   Plato, _Phaedrus_