[comp.sys.mac] Applesoft Basic -> Mac ?

eac@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (E Clinton Arbaugh) (01/24/90)

Does anyone know where to find a program to convert Applesoft Basic programs
(from the old Apple II) to something a Macintosh Basic compiler can look
at?  This is for my father, who has upgraded to a Mac IIcx but needs some
of his custom accounting and check-writing software to work on his new Mac.
I have loaded the files on the Mac using Apple File Exchange, but it appears
they are in some sort of binary format...

Additionally, are there any simple check-writing packages available?  He
bought an Excel template package which can replace a lot of his accounting,
tracking, and cost estimates (he is a contractor) but the one feature it
lacks is printing the checks out.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Gary Carvell
Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems
e-mail: pizza!gc@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
(if that address doesn't work, send to: eac@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
and put my name in the Subject line)

6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) (01/24/90)

From article <662@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by eac@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (E Clinton Arbaugh):
> Additionally, are there any simple check-writing packages available?  He
> bought an Excel template package which can replace a lot of his accounting,
> tracking, and cost estimates (he is a contractor) but the one feature it
> lacks is printing the checks out.

Try using Quicken.  As far as I know it can print checks (at least there
is a menu item which suggests that.  I've never actually done it...
The program itself is quite cheap.  Just takes a little time to set it
up.

  |Puneet Pasrich  |  Internet:  6600bike@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
  |Karate Kid      |  Bitnet:    6600bike@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |
  |'Just do it!'   |                                        |

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (01/24/90)

In article <662@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> eac@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (E Clinton Arbaugh) writes:
>Does anyone know where to find a program to convert Applesoft Basic programs
>(from the old Apple II) to something a Macintosh Basic compiler can look
>at?

[ stuff deleted ]

>I have loaded the files on the Mac using Apple File Exchange, but it appears
>they are in some sort of binary format...

Can't help with the BASIC translation part (I gave up on BASIC and switched
to C when I got my Mac and retired my Apple ][ 4 years ago :-), but it should
be easy to get the program into a mac text file.  Hook your Apple ][ up
to the Mac with a null-modem cable (or modem cable, depending on your
serial card configuration).  Fire up your favorite terminal emulator
program on the Mac, and set it to capture ASCII text.  I have found that
my (very old - S/N ~4000) Apple ][ couldn't do this reliably at any more
than 2400 baud.  Anyway, assuming you have a Super-Serial Card in slot #1
on the Apple ][, type a PR#1, which will cause all output to go to the Mac.
Now just type LIST, and your BASIC program listing will be dumped to the
Mac.  For extra fun, you could also type IN#1 from the Apple ][ and now
you can use your Mac as a terminal to edit and run BASIC programs on the
Apple ][ (pointless, but interesting... :-)

I would guess that a little searching and replacing of the Applesoft-specific
keywords using your favorite Mac text editor would yeild a workable Mac
BASIC program.  Good luck!

Oh yeah, another alternative would be to use one of the Apple ][ emulators
on the Mac to directly run the programs.  I have used one called "Mac + //"
and heard of one called "// in a Mac".  I sort of doubt that these will
run on a Mac II series machine, though - maybe someone else can answer
this?

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/25/90)

Written  5:35 pm  Jan 23, 1990 by eac@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
 > Does anyone know where to find a program to convert Applesoft Basic programs
 > (from the old Apple II) to something a Macintosh Basic compiler can look
 > at?  This is for my father, who has upgraded to a Mac IIcx but needs some
 > of his custom accounting and check-writing software to work on his new Mac.
 > I have loaded the files on the Mac using Apple File Exchange, but it appears
 > they are in some sort of binary format...

What you might want to try is to list the Applesoft programs out to a file
on the Apple II, so that it is saved as ASCII -- then transfer the file over
to the Mac as the ASCII source code.  If you're not sure how to do this on the
Apple II, send me e-mail (and let me know what your dad is using, i.e. II+,IIe,
IIc,IIgs,etc, DOS 3.3, ProDOS,etc.).

Good luck.
                                     Erik A. Johnson
                                     Graduate Student, Aero/Astro Engineering
                                     johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu