[comp.sys.mac] PS upgrade, LSP Object lib, spoolers, locking objects, DiskFit, Gateways, MacT

bradshaw@qucis.queensu.CA (Tom Bradshaw) (01/13/90)

 1)  Apple Canada tells us the only way to upgrade the *version* of
 Postscript in our old LaserWriter+ is to buy *another* -plus upgrade kit.
 Since we already paid for the extra fonts, this seems a little out of
 line.  Has this been the policy in the U.S. too?

 2)  Is Symantec/Think planning to release an object library for Pascal
 similar to the one they're including with Think C?  I've been using MPW
 for MacApp, but I'd really rather spend my time doing something more
 productive than prowling through the heap in Macsbug.  I've written my own
 small set of primitive window-handling objects for those "quick and dirty"
 programs, but who wants to reinvent the wheel?

 3)  Does anyone know of a spooler that works for the DeskWriter that's
 available today?

 4)  In Think Pascal I want to call a system routine that moves memory with
 a field of an object as a parameter.  Is it safe to assume that objects can
 be treated as handles, and do HLock (HANDLE(SELF))...HUnlock()?

 5)  We have a MacPlus running AppleShare.  To back it up, I've created a
 boot floppy with DiskFit.  We shut down the AppleShare machine, reboot from
 the floppy, and run DiskFit to do the backup.  Is this going to get
 everything, and in the form it's needed, to do a full recovery?  (I'm
 worried by the alternate directory system that AppleShare seems to use.)

 6)  Is there a gateway that I can post questions to UseNet from BitNet
 directly?

 7)  Has anyone heard if there will be a new version of MacTerminal released
 when the CommToolbox ships?  I heard a rumour of LAT support a while ago,
 but nothing since.

 Thanks everyone.  Please note that this has been posted from someone
 else's account since I only have read-only access to UseNet.

 Dave Charlesworth
 CHARLESW@QUCDN.BITNET
 ---

 Dave

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/15/90)

In article <500@qusunm.queensu.CA> bradshaw@qucis.queensu.CA (Tom Bradshaw) writes:

> 2)  Is Symantec/Think planning to release an object library for Pascal
> similar to the one they're including with Think C?  I've been using MPW

	Yes.

> 4)  In Think Pascal I want to call a system routine that moves memory with
> a field of an object as a parameter.  Is it safe to assume that objects can
> be treated as handles, and do HLock (HANDLE(SELF))...HUnlock()?

	Yes, although instead of HLock and HUnlock, use:

	oldState= HGetState(Handle(SELF));
	MoveHHi(Handle(SELF));
	HLock(Handle(SELF));
	{ stuff here }
	HSetState(Handle(SELF), oldState);

This will allow you to do this trick across multiple routine calls.

> 5)  We have a MacPlus running AppleShare.  To back it up, I've created a
> boot floppy with DiskFit.  We shut down the AppleShare machine, reboot from
> the floppy, and run DiskFit to do the backup.  Is this going to get
> everything, and in the form it's needed, to do a full recovery?  (I'm
> worried by the alternate directory system that AppleShare seems to use.)

	No; DiskFit won't preserve the file and folder permissions.
Retrospect will, and I use it in an automatic mode to back up a file
server in the middle of the night to a tape drive, without having to
shut down the server. (I have no relation to Dantz Development except
as a satisfied customer.) Retrospect does lots of other nice things
besides, and it's a little over half the cost of Network Diskfit.

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

bradshaw@qucis.queensu.CA (Tom Bradshaw) (02/01/90)

This message is empty.