[comp.sys.mac] Unrecognized SE/30 drive

kearns@read.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) (01/23/90)

Hi.  An associate has an SE/30 with the 80meg apple supplied internal
hard disk drive.  Unfortunately, it recently just forgot about its
hard disk.  when you turn it on, it waits for a user to stick in a
floppy.  disk 1st aid does not list the internal hard drive.

Any suggestions on what might have happened, or how the disk data could
be recovered?

-steve
(kearns@cs.columbia.edu)

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/23/90)

In article <6712@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Hi.  An associate has an SE/30 with the 80meg apple supplied internal
>hard disk drive.  Unfortunately, it recently just forgot about its
>hard disk.  when you turn it on, it waits for a user to stick in a
>floppy.  disk 1st aid does not list the internal hard drive.
>
>Any suggestions on what might have happened, or how the disk data could
>be recovered?

Hmm.  Mine did the same thing a couple of weeks ago.  I only had
it for 2 days and one morning the disk just wouldn't spin up.

I ended up putting it in the shop, where it's been for the past
10 days (good ratio - it's been in the shop 5 times as long as
I had it).

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

lnb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (L. N. Brosnahan) (01/23/90)

In article <6712@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Hi.  An associate has an SE/30 with the 80meg apple supplied internal
>hard disk drive.  Unfortunately, it recently just forgot about its
>hard disk.  when you turn it on, it waits for a user to stick in a
>floppy.  disk 1st aid does not list the internal hard drive.

You have one of the infamous hard drives with the sticky lubricant.  This
happened a lot at Dartmouth.  I think Apple made a recall of all those bad
drives (Mostly in SE/30s and IIcxs).  Get it serviced at a licensed Apple
dealer.
If you want to try something else, there is a voo-doo remedy I heard of.  If
you take the entire computer and give it a jerk, it unsticks the sticky
lubricant and it may run for a while (long enough to back it up).  Don't
take my word for it.  It's probably best to just get it fixed by someone who
can give you a more reasonable voo-doo remedy.

--
|   "To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow, creeps in this petty pace     |
|   from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time; . . . It is a    |

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/24/90)

In article <6712@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:

 > Hi.  An associate has an SE/30 with the 80meg apple supplied internal
 > hard disk drive.  Unfortunately, it recently just forgot about its
 > hard disk.  when you turn it on, it waits for a user to stick in a
 > floppy.  disk 1st aid does not list the internal hard drive.

I had the same problem happen two or three times within the first month after
I bought my Mac (SE/30, 4megRAM, 80meg HD).  It was a thing where the first
time or two all I had to do was shut it off and turn it back on and it was
fine.  The last time it happenned, I booted off of one of the system disks from
Apple and fortunately it did find the hard drive.  I called my dealer and their
response was to then use the installer to re-install the system and finder on
the hard drive.  I did as they sugested and have not had any troubles since
(i.e. no problems in the last three months).  Of course, this remedy will not
work if the hard drive is not found even when you boot on another disk.

                                     Erik A. Johnson
                                     Graduate Student, Aero/Astro Engineering
                                     johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/01/90)

Expires:
In article <18735@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> lnb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (L. N. Brosnahan) writes:
>In article <6712@columbia.edu> kearns@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>>Hi.  An associate has an SE/30 with the 80meg apple supplied internal
>>hard disk drive.  Unfortunately, it recently just forgot about its
>>hard disk.  when you turn it on, it waits for a user to stick in a
>>floppy.  disk 1st aid does not list the internal hard drive.
>>
>You have one of the infamous hard drives with the sticky lubricant.  This

Forgive me if this problem has already been solved.. i am
new to the mac group.. sifting through over 1000 articles...

Anyway..  i have a Quantum 80S which recently began read and write
fails due to irregular spinning.. symptoms were slow-down.. then
idle a bit.. and maybe come back up to speed.. eventually, i had
to restart several times to get the drive going..  I investigated the
problem and learned of the "sticky" actuator arm fluid.. conditions
precipitating the failure may be humidity or dust.. in my case..
probably both.. my system lives (and so do i) in the basement
of a house built in 1906...  (i could live upstairs.. but my wife
won't let me have my computer in any room she deems liveable...)..
anyway.. i sent my drive off to MacLand.. they promptly put the
new Quantum rom chip on the drive..  been three weeks and my drive
has run flawlessly..  Apparently, lots of dealers have the chip
and it is a very easy install..  if the drive is under warranty
(2 years for Quantum) , don't let them charge you for a thing...

Anyway.. it cost me $20 to ship it .. they paid return postage..

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu