[comp.sys.mac] My mac IICX

evans@Neon.Stanford.EDU (John S. Evans) (01/25/90)

I have a mac IICX at home, with Quantum's (wonderful) 80meg internal
hard disk and 4 meg of RAM (I purchased this configuration, so it's
Apple's standard stuff) and have Apple's color monitor with Apple's
color card.

The problem is that the computer has decided that it doesn't like being
on it's side.  I was told when I purchased the computer that it had been
specially designed so that it could be oriented flat or on it's side
(whereas the mac II seemed to have problems on it's side...)

Now when I place the computer on it's side, it refuses to boot.  At all.
No ping.  No neato tones.  No power.  It's as if the power switches (both
on the keyboard and the back of the mac) have decided not to work.

I talked to the wonderfully helpful folks here at the Stanford Bookstore, and
they told me that "some mac IICXs don't like being on their side."

Does anyone out there in netland know what causes this strange behaviour,
and if there's anything (cheap) I can do to fix it?

One person suggested that it was the ever-popular Quantum-80 problem, but
I had thought that the mac powered up with that problem, and just wouldn't
move the hard disk.

Thanks in advance.

--
John S. Evans	             |	"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"
evans@neon.stanford.edu	     |

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/01/90)

In article <1990Jan24.233634.4297@Neon.Stanford.EDU> evans@Neon.Stanford.EDU (John S. Evans) writes:
>I have a mac IICX at home, with Quantum's (wonderful) 80meg internal
>hard disk and 4 meg of RAM (I purchased this configuration, so it's
>Apple's standard stuff) and have Apple's color monitor with Apple's
>color card.
>
>(whereas the mac II seemed to have problems on it's side...)
>
>Now when I place the computer on it's side, it refuses to boot.  At all.
>No ping.  No neato tones.  No power.  It's as if the power switches (both
>on the keyboard and the back of the mac) have decided not to work.
>

>One person suggested that it was the ever-popular Quantum-80 problem, but
>I had thought that the mac powered up with that problem, and just wouldn't
>move the hard disk.

Was the Quantum formatted
on its
side?