[comp.sys.mac] Mac only has 90-day warranty

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (01/24/90)

Why does the Mac only carry a 90-day warranty? This notesgroup has a lot of
discussions about broken disks, etc.  Both of the Macs in our graphics
department have recently been in the shop. Perhaps the Mac is unreliable?
It is definitely too expensive.

tom k.

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (01/24/90)

In article <63400002@hpl-opus.HP.COM>, knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

> Why does the Mac only carry a 90-day warranty?

    Yup, we all know and lament the pitiful state of the Mac warranty.  It's
 really been talked to death in the literature.  About the only productive
 thing anyone can do at this point is to get on Apple's back about it.
    Deborah Branscum includes an "Inadequate Warranty" watch in her MacWorld
 column which, month by month tallys the length of time Apple's been stiffing
 us.  Other equally visible and continuing protests are also probably in order
 (maybe a letter to John Scully every month).

    Maybe if we squeak long enough and loud enough, Apple will grease us.

 Best of luck
joe houghtaling
jh0576@leah.albany.edu

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (01/24/90)

TK> Why does the Mac only carry a 90-day warranty? This notesgroup has
TK> a lot of discussions about broken disks, etc. Both of the Macs in
TK> our graphics department have recently been in the shop. Perhaps the
TK> Mac is unreliable? It is definitely too expensive.

Well, the mac is really probably the most reliable computer around... i didn't
say most, but i'm sure people with ibm clones have a lot more trouble...
nevertheless, Apple could extend their warrenty without much financial loss,
and the really should do so...
 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu (01/25/90)

In article <63400002@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

>Why does the Mac only carry a 90-day warranty? This notesgroup has a lot of

The only logical explanation I remember hearing is to provide Apple
dealers a form of income thru Applecare.

Johnny Lee
jlee4@orchid.waterloo.edu

gdavis@primate.wisc.edu (Gary Davis) (01/25/90)

From article <7172@wpi.wpi.edu>, by macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg):
> TK> Why does the Mac only carry a 90-day warranty? This notesgroup has
>
> Well, the mac is really probably the most reliable computer around... i didn't

In spite of occasional exceptions, most reports I've seen would agree
that the Mac is quite reliable.

Remarkably, Apple has argued that the reliability means that they
don't need to offer a warranty longer than 90 days.

Various reports, however, suggest that a longer warranty is on the
way.

Gary Davis

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (02/02/90)

I don't think that Apple offers a 5 year warranty any more.  If my
memory serves me correctly, only a 3-year warranty is available.