[comp.sys.mac] A programs user interface

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (02/01/90)

In article <3148@ssc-vax.UUCP> housen@ssc-vax.UUCP (Kevin Housen) writes:
>look and feel.  So back to my question, where does one cross the line
>from being a devoted defender of the consistent user interface
>to being labeled as a scum sucking plagairizer?

When you begin to cut into the market share of a large company which
uses a similar interface.  Note -- this does not by any means have to
be the company that invented the look and feel under discussion.

"I slept with Faith, and found a corpse in my arms on awaking; I drank and
 danced all night with Doubt, and found her a virgin in the morning."
    -- Aleister Crowley, THE BOOK OF LIES

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (02/02/90)

Consider a spreadsheet.  You almost have to have a large grid of
cells, lables for the rows and columns, and a field for data entry.
On a mac, you need menus, and when you select a cell, it uses reverse
video.  Additionally, the first three menus are Apple, File, and Edit.
To add two numbers together, you almost invariable type '=A2+B3' (or
something similar), or just type '=' and click on two cells.

Does anyone here have any trouble telling Wingz from Excel?  or on a
DOS Box (just say no), 1-2-3 from Multiplan?

I could use almost any type of program out there, but spreadsheets are
more rigid than most.

If you think that your interface is beginning to look too close to
someone elses, try to find their mistakes and fix them... add some new
features... etc.  If you look at almost any program available, there
are always ways to improve it.

+C

--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com