[comp.sys.mac] MacTCP info?

antonson@software.org (Todd Antonson) (02/02/90)

Hello,

Does anybody know about MacTCP?  What it is and how does it differ from,
say, the Kinetics software or other communication software?

Thanks for any info.

Todd S. Antonson                    |CSNET: antonson@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium    |UUCP : ..!uunet!software!antonson
SPC Building -- 2214 Rock Hill Road | (703) 742-7296.
Herndon, Virginia 22070             |

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (02/02/90)

In article <2687@sunny.software.org>, antonson@software.org (Todd Antonson)
writes:
> Does anybody know about MacTCP?  What it is and how does it differ from,
> say, the Kinetics software or other communication software?

MacTCP is a driver (and associated cdev) that provides Macintosh applications
with access to basic TCP/IP services.  It is not an application itself--it's
a method for multiple applications (or DAs, or INITs) to all use TCP/IP without
having to each include an implementation of the TCP/IP protocol stack.
Kinetics' TCPort driver has a similar purpose.

To actually use MacTCP you need additional software, such as NCSA Telnet
2.3, InterCon TCP/Connect, or one of the growing number of HyperCard stacks
that use XCMDs to talk to the driver.  This is part of the reason that MacTCP
is being sold strictly as a devloper or OEM product.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view."
	--Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Return of the Jedi"