[comp.sys.mac] Disinfectant 1.6

RWERMAN@vms.huji.ac.il (01/18/90)

   I have enjoyed using Disinfectant in it's earlier versions but
since downloading version 1.6 [including WDEF virus protection], it
refuses to pass ANY of my files.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

__Bob Werman
rwerman@hujivms
Jerusalem

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (01/18/90)

In article <25b594c61b1@vms.huji.ac.il> RWERMAN@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

>   I have enjoyed using Disinfectant in it's earlier versions but
>since downloading version 1.6 [including WDEF virus protection], it
>refuses to pass ANY of my files.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

>__Bob Werman

Sorry I can't suggest a solution to your problem (I think some more info would
be useful, like what kind of messages you are getting from Disinfectant), but
I can clear up one thing...

Version 1.6 of Disinfectant does not exist.
The latest release version of Disinfectant is v. 1.5.  I believe it should
carry a modification date (from Finder's "Get Info") of December 14, 1:02 PM.
(That's 1989, by the way!)

Version 1.5 of Disinfectant does include WDEF A and WDEF B virus detection and
removal capabilities.  Disinfectant does not "protect" against any virus.
(Granted this may be semantics, but we don't want to give anyone a false
sense of security.)  An example of virus "protection" utilities would be
GateKeeper and GateKeeper Aid.

Jim

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (01/19/90)

In article <25b594c61b1@vms.huji.ac.il> RWERMAN@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

>   I have enjoyed using Disinfectant in it's earlier versions but
>since downloading version 1.6 [including WDEF virus protection], it
>refuses to pass ANY of my files.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Quarantine your Mac??

(Sorry Bob, I suppose it isn't funny but I couldn't resist :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

jl4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (John J. Lucena) (02/03/90)

 The latest version of Disinfectant is now avaliable
in the Virus Fighters folder on the Baker 140 Server
in the Clusters Appletalk zone.
 Version 1.6 is an improvement over 1.5 in that now
uses a better searching routine for the different strains
of the nVir virus. The makers of Disinfectant they claim that
their new detection scheme for nVir will catch any and all
strains of the virus, so that updates should not have to be
done should a new strain be discovered.

-John
Baker Hall 140 Server Admin,