[comp.sys.mac] Porting Mac sound to Sun?

kaplanr@slcpi.govt.shearson.com (Roger Kaplan) (02/02/90)

  I just received the conversion program "sound2sun" which converts Mac-sampled
sounds to SparcStation format.

  My problem is:  How do I transfer the sound files from the Mac to the sun?
I assume I should use the sounds in their Soundcap forms, rather than an SND
resource... How can I

1) convert a Mac-format (resource/data fork) file to a simple flat data file
   for the Sun, and

2) place the file into a suitable format for transmission over a modem line
   that the Mac can encode and the Sun can decode?

Unfortunately, I don't know of a Sun version of binhex or a mac version
of uuencode....

**Roger Kaplan      kaplanr@shearson.com   ...!uunet!slcpi!kaplanr
Shearson Lehman Hutton  (an AMEX company)   New Yawk, NY

Disclaimer: Neither AMEX nor SLH has anything to do with my postings.

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) (02/03/90)

In article <187@slcpi.govt.shearson.com> kaplanr@slcpi.govt.shearson.com (Roger Kaplan) writes:
>  I just received the conversion program "sound2sun" which converts Mac-sampled
>sounds to SparcStation format.
>  How do I transfer the sound files from the Mac to the sun?

You'll have to get the sound files to the Sun on your own, use a modem
and your favorite terminal package.  ZModem implementations for the
Mac and for UNIX (that compile on SparcStations) are available at
sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

While you're at sumex-aim, go to the unix directory and grab xbin and
unsit.  These are two programs for de-BinHexing and de-StuffIting files
on UNIX.

And as long as you're there, you may as well grab a sound file or two,
just to get you started.  I'd recommend their 20thCentury sound file.

Okay, now you've got everything you need.  De-shar and compile xbin
and unsit.  Run the 20thCentury sound through xbin.  You should get
three files out, a .sit.info, .sit.rsrc, and .sit.data file.
These are the three 'forks' of a StuffIt archive.  Throw out the
.rsrc and .info files, you don't need them.  Now run the .sit.data
file through unsit.  You'll again get three files, a .info, .rsrc, and
.data file.  Again, trash the .info and .rsrc file, you don't need them.

Now then, what you have is the data fork for the soundcap file of the
sound.  Run this through sound2sun and you'll get a uLAW encoded file
you can cat to /dev/audio.  If the volume is a little low (and it is)
you can either modify sound2sun.c to increase it (look for the line
that sets the volume to, I think, 16, and change it to something larger,
128 or so...) or you can play the sound through one of the Sparcstation
Sound Tools.  (Sorry, I don't know where you can get them... I can ftp
them to your site if you ask nicely..)

Have a ball!

			--Bob

P.S.  For the rest of you, you can get sound2sun via anonymous ftp from
j.cc.purdue.edu.  Bring over (binary) /comp.sources.sun/volume2/v02i008.Z