[comp.sys.mac] FastPath vs. GatorBox

suhler@IBM.COM (Paul Suhler) (01/18/90)

Has anyone seen any comparisons of the Kinetics FastPath and the Cayman
GatorBox?  There was a discussion on USENET early in 1989, but I haven't
found any of it in the archives.

How about a head-to-head comparison in a magazine?

Thanks,

Paul Suhler
Hybrid Dataflow Systems

korfhage@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Willard Korfhage) (01/25/90)

For Mac access to NFS file systems, and alternative to the Gatorbox
software is CAP, from Columbia University. CAP makes any directory on a unix
machine look like an appleshare volume, and this directory might well be
mounted via NFS from some other machine. It is free, and I know it works
well. If you want to use if from Macs on a local talk network, you still
need some soft of box to translate from localtalk to the ethernet. If
you have macs on an ethernet (like my own), then theory says that the mac
and the unix machine should be able to communicate. The problem is that
the unix machine wants to talk TCP/IP, and the mac wants to talk Ethertalk.
You can still use a Fastpath or Gatorbox to do the translation (actually,
encapsulation), but there's a set of drivers for CAP that are supposed
to let CAP understand ethertalk directly instead of going through TCP/IP.
The name of these drivers escapes me at the moment, but it is something
like adp and is supposed to be available on sumex or other unix archives.
The systems people here at poly are working on putting the drivers into
CAP, and expect to be done with it in 3 or 4 weeks. Thus, if everything works
well, using unix machines as appleshare file servers will not require
any additional hardware for macs connected to the ethernet, and may require
as little as Liason running on a gateway mac for macs connected to localtalk.

I will let the net know if the driver installation reaches a successful
conclusion.
 Willard Korfhage   ARPA : korfhage@pucatt.poly.edu, korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
		    UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage
"Castro Kicks Vanna Habit: Tough-talking tyrant vows he'll never watch
'Wheel of Fortune' again!" - Weekly World News

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (02/02/90)

In article <7315@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

>Their [Cayman's] customer service is also very useful.

I second that.  I've called Cayman two or three times, and I've gotten
quick and correct answers every time, even to bizarre questions.  And when
they say they'll call back, they mean it, unlike most everybody else, to whom
"We'll call you back" is the functional equivalent of, "Buzz off, jerk."

And I'm quite pleased with our Gatorbox, too.

Steve
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (02/02/90)

In article <ANG.90Jan31112447@mockingbird.lcs.mit.edu>, ang@theory.lcs.mit.edu (William S. Ang) writes:

> Will GatorBox work with Columbia's CAP, or has software to spool print jobs
> on Unix machines, or let Unix machines print on appletalk laserwriter?

  Yes the GatorBox will work with CAP.  Our printing software has not yet been
released.

Disclaimer:  Gators are my life.

--
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  Chris North                        Internet:chris@cayman.com

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (02/02/90)

>Will GatorBox work with Columbia's CAP, or has software to spool print jobs
>on Unix machines, or let Unix machines print on appletalk laserwriter?
Yes.  We use it.  Works just fine printing framemaker postscript output
from unix machine to phonenet-based apple laserwriter.
-Drew Wade
drew@objy.com

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (02/02/90)

In article <ANG.90Jan31112447@mockingbird.lcs.mit.edu> ang@theory.lcs.mit.edu (William S. Ang) writes:

>Will GatorBox work with Columbia's CAP, or has software to spool print jobs
>on Unix machines, or let Unix machines print on appletalk laserwriter?

  The GatorBox supports CAP quite well. The Graduate School of Design
at Harvard has been using a pair of GatorBoxes to connect a number of
Sun workstations to the LaserWriters with very few problems. Telnet
and NFS also work quite well.

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (02/03/90)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I second that.  I've called Cayman two or three times, and I've gotten
>quick and correct answers every time, even to bizarre questions.  And when
>they say they'll call back, they mean it, unlike most everybody else, to whom
>"We'll call you back" is the functional equivalent of, "Buzz off, jerk."
>
>And I'm quite pleased with our Gatorbox, too.

and I write:
I'll third that.  They've CALLED ME a couple of times, just to see how things
are going!  I'm am also very pleased with our GatorBox (the NFS->Appleshare
translation is slick).  I would say that the one difference between the GB
and the FP is the user perspective.  The FastPath seems to be oriented
toward the Unix user, the GatorBox toward the Mac user.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668        CNG-er-PU4-er-MNI Development       2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb1.194634.14196@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@pequod (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <7315@tank.uchicago.edu> rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:
>
>>Their [Cayman's] customer service is also very useful.
>
>I second that.  I've called Cayman two or three times, and I've gotten
>quick and correct answers every time, even to bizarre questions.  And when
>they say they'll call back, they mean it, unlike most everybody else, to whom
>"We'll call you back" is the functional equivalent of, "Buzz off, jerk."
>
>And I'm quite pleased with our Gatorbox, too.

Although we did have problems with early versions of the GatorBox NFS
software, I have to agree that the support that we have received from
Cayman has been excellent.  Our support person called when he said he
would call, even if it was only to touch base and say that an answer
to my problem wasn't available yet - much preferable to those
companies that adopt the attitude that they're not going to call just
to tell me they're solutions aren't ready yet.

Anders Wallgren
Verity, Inc.

usenet@nlm-mcs.arpa (usenet news poster) (02/03/90)

In article <4198@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) writes:
>  Yes the GatorBox will work with CAP.  Our printing software has not yet been
>released.

Will users be able to continue following the GatorShare upgrade path
without being forced away from using the original CAP and forced to buy
Cayman's "CAP"?

--Warren
(Hi, Chris, the Gatorboxes are working great now.  Thanks!)