[comp.sys.mac] Help: Sad MAC code : 0F00A

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) (02/04/90)

Today, my mac started to behave very strangely.

I left my mac with an external hard drive on for the night.  When I woke up
this morning and tried to run BlitzMail ( a local mail program) the mac gave me
a ID 10 system error.  Then I restarted the mac with the reset button since when
I pressed the restart button in the sys error dialog box it didn't work.  After
the hard drive chugged along for a while I got a sad mac code 0F00A.

For the next twenty, I struggled to find out what was wrong with it.  The
strange thing was that the hard drive booted for some of the times and couldn't
boot some of times.  When the hard drive booted up, sometimes, when I try to
run an application, it would accidentally freeze up.

The only regularity I figured out that this thing has was that when I get this
sad mac code 0F00A, I could turn the machine and hard drive off for about 20
minutes and then turn them on, it would boot.

Does anyone know what this sad mac code   0F00A is ?
what ID 10 is ?

Thanks for the help!

Please respond through e-mail.

Xiaoxia  Ye          INTERNET/BITNET/UUCP: xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College    For more info: finger xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

xxiaoye@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Xiaoxia Ye) writes:

>I pressed the restart button in the sys error dialog box it didn't work.  After
>the hard drive chugged along for a while I got a sad mac code 0F00A.

All of the sad mac codes are nicely documented (finally) in Dan Allen's new
book, "On Macintosh Programming: Advanced Techniques" [addison-wesley].
Consider this a plug and a strong recommendation, even though I'm not
through reading it yet.

0F00A is a line 1111 error. The system is dying when trying to trap through
a trap vector. Now, I'm assuming that you've tried booting it from a known
good floppy disk and proven it's not a corrupted System file (if that isn't
true, try it) -- if you're getting a line 1111 trap failure and it's not the
software, it implies that the CPU chip has decided to die. If it works for a
while after being turned off, that normally means the failure is heat
related: once it warms up to operating temperature, it stops working again.

Sound to me like it's time to head to the shop.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Rumour has it that Larry Wall, author of RN, is a finalist in the race for
the Nobel Peace Prize for his invention of the kill file.