[comp.sys.mac] ]Moire and GateKeeper

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (02/02/90)

I have a small problem...I reported earlier that I was having a problem
with my Finder always being reported as damaged when I shutdown under
6.0.4.  I found the problem, I think.  With just GateKeeper Aid,
GateKeeper, and Moire (all three the latest versions from Sumex) I get
the error message.  When I remove Moire, everything is fine.  Does
anyone know of a screen saver that works with GateKeeper?

Thanks,
--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)     Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet

halam@umnd-cpe-cola.d.umn.edu (haseen alam) (02/02/90)

In article <7849@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>I have a small problem...I reported earlier that I was having a problem
>with my Finder always being reported as damaged when I shutdown under
>6.0.4.  I found the problem, I think.  With just GateKeeper Aid,
>GateKeeper, and Moire (all three the latest versions from Sumex) I get

Well on one of my previous postings, I listed all the INITs and CDEVs
that I am using, which includes Morie 3.0 (I think 3.02 is the latest),
Gatekeeper v1.1.1, and GK Aid v1.1.1.  And as far as I know these are
the latest.  They work fine on My IIci with 5Meg RAM, System 6.0.4, and
Finder 6.1.4.  So if you are using version 3.0+ of Morie, then I would
like to know that, and at the same time would recommend trying the older
version of Morie (v3.0).  Also, you can configure GateKeeper to ignore
Morie as a suspicious INIT by adding its name in the Info/setting in
the control panel.  Thats what I have for my setup.  Try it out and let
us all know what happens.

Haseen.

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (02/02/90)

In article <7849@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>I have a small problem...I reported earlier that I was having a problem
>with my Finder always being reported as damaged when I shutdown under
>6.0.4.  I found the problem, I think.  With just GateKeeper Aid,
>GateKeeper, and Moire (all three the latest versions from Sumex) I get
>the error message.  When I remove Moire, everything is fine.  Does
>anyone know of a screen saver that works with GateKeeper?

Mike, I realized this before I sent you mail...

Don't jump to the conclusion that these suddenly don't work together!
I just realized, Moire has an option, "run on shutdown" that will bomb
an SE or a Plus.  I think that option will only work with Motorolla 68020
processors and up; in other words an SE/30 or any class II line Mac.
Make sure this option is off for you.  All it does is draw patterns and
display shutdown in big shadow letters every couple of seconds instead of
the you may now shut your mac safely.... message.
Willi

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (02/02/90)

In article <7849@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>I have a small problem...I reported earlier that I was having a problem
>with my Finder always being reported as damaged when I shutdown under
>6.0.4.  I found the problem, I think.  With just GateKeeper Aid,
>GateKeeper, and Moire (all three the latest versions from Sumex) I get
>the error message.  When I remove Moire, everything is fine.  Does
>anyone know of a screen saver that works with GateKeeper?

Have you made certain that the priviledges as set in GateKeeper include Moire?
I have no problems at all between the two, running under System 6.0.4 on a Mac
Plus.  However, I _do_ have Moire listed in the settings privileges box of
GateKeeper with Res: Self privileges granted (checked).

Assuming you are using the latest GateKeeper (1.1.1) and the latest Moire
(3.02) you should have no conflict as long as GateKeeper is set up correctly
for Moire, at least in my experience.

Jim

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (02/02/90)

Well, it seems I caused quite a stir.  I have received several pieces of
mail on this subject...and yes I know how to use a Macintosh...there
seem to be several loyal fans of Moire out there.  But I did receive a
few mail messages with a good suggestion so I tried it.  And if I leave
the "Shutdown" option off, Moire does not "damage" my Finder.  Hope this
helps someone out there.

Thanks for all those who responded,
--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)     Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
Clemson University
Clemson, S.C. 29634-2803         DISCLAIMER = I speak only for myself.

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (02/02/90)

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (William Perez) writes:
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                Rather interesting domain, Willi! :-)

>I just realized, Moire has an option, "run on shutdown" that will bomb
>an SE or a Plus.  I think that option will only work with Motorolla 68020
>processors and up; in other words an SE/30 or any class II line Mac.
>Make sure this option is off for you.  All it does is draw patterns and
>display shutdown in big shadow letters every couple of seconds instead of
>the you may now shut your mac safely.... message.

I use the ``Run On Shutdown'' option in Moire all the time on a good
old-fashioned [noisy fan, 800K drive, all the good stuff ;-) ] SE.  I
have no problems with it.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  I don't want to yield to fashion and
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  make the Macintosh as ugly as OS/2

v141gxzn@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (02/04/90)

In article <7849@hubcap.clemson.edu>, mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
> I have a small problem...I reported earlier that I was having a problem
> with my Finder always being reported as damaged when I shutdown under
> 6.0.4.  I found the problem, I think.  With just GateKeeper Aid,
> GateKeeper, and Moire (all three the latest versions from Sumex) I get
> the error message.  When I remove Moire, everything is fine.  Does
> anyone know of a screen saver that works with GateKeeper?
>
> Thanks,
> --

I routinely use GateKeeper, GateKeeper Aid and Morie and experience no problems
with it.  I am running a 1 meg SE with a Jasmine Backpac 100.  Other inits
loaded include ALTwdef, hierda, SUM Shield, and Jasmine.  They load GateKeeper,
GK Aid, SUM, Jasmine, hierda, morie, ALTwdef.

Alex W. Lynn		State University of New York at Buffalo
v141gxzn@ubvms.bitnet
v141gxzn@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
73030,2766

In article <Feb.1.21.34.45.1990.27132@galaxy.rutgers.edu>, perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) writes:

> Don't jump to the conclusion that these suddenly don't work together!
> I just realized, Moire has an option, "run on shutdown" that will bomb
> an SE or a Plus.  I think that option will only work with Motorolla 68020
> processors and up; in other words an SE/30 or any class II line Mac.
> Make sure this option is off for you.  All it does is draw patterns and
> display shutdown in big shadow letters every couple of seconds instead of
> the you may now shut your mac safely.... message.
> Willi

It does bomb a SE or Plus?! That's interesting, I haven't seen it bomb my
machine and it's been running constantly for over a week now.  I use the run on
shutdown when I have no processes running and I'll be gone for more than an
hour.  All with no bombs.  So please research your solutions to be sure you
know what your talking about before you offer them to the public.

Alex W. Lynn		State University of New York at Buffalo
v141gxzn@ubvms.bitnet
v141gxzn@ubvms.cc.buffallo.edu
73030,2766