[comp.sys.mac] What kind of paper for DeskWriter ??

mtoy@there.sgi.com (Michael Toy) (02/03/90)

I have a HP DeskWriter, it is a great printer, everybody should have one.
I want to know, exactly what kind of paper do I buy in order to get the
best quality output.  So far I have experienced three different kinds of paper:

	1) 20lb Laser Printer Paper which I bought at Price Club:
	Results: Ink holds thin lines, but tends to spread out in thin
		 spidery wisps.

	2) I went to a copy store and bought a ream of High Quaility
	   High Speed Laser Printer paper.  It is a very heavy (~60lb)
	   paper, which doesn't have the spidery line problem of the
	   cheaper paper, but the ink does tend to spread out a bit,
	   making everything a little fuzzy.  Good for certificates,
	   where all the text is big, but too fuzzy for normal text.

	3) The magic paper that the tech pubs people here at SGI use for
	   printing their masters.  This stuff is perfect, makes the
	   DeskWriter output as good as a LaserWriter (maybe better
	   because of the blacker blacks).  Problem:  It has non-photo
	   blue printing all over the back side.

I know nothing about paper.  Would somebody who does tell me:

	1) What kind of paper to buy
	2) What kinds of places sell it
	   or (ideally)
	3) Where in the South SF Bay area can I buy it?

Thanks

--Michael Toy

Michael Toy

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (02/03/90)

Michael (and the net):

The very best kind of paper that I have found for use with the
DeskWriter (after *MUCH* experimentation) is that with cotton
fiber in it (better known as cotton bond).

For every day printing, I use 25% cotton fiber, 20 lb paper.
If you buy this a ream at a time (500 sheets), you should be
able to get it for between 2 and 2.5 cents per sheet ($10 - $12
per ream).  When printing on this type of paper, I have found
the output to be TRUE 300 dpi ... pretty much indistinguishable
from laserwriter output (I've checked).

The main difference in paper types seems to be the cotton fiber.
I guess that it doesn't absorb the ink or something.

Types of paper I've tried:

Normal photocopying paper -- good for draft stuff, but the ink
    definitely bleeds into the page.  The letters look fuzzy
    around the edges, although the bleeding is in a fairly
    uniform manner.
25% cotton bond -- works great!
100% cotton bond -- also works great ... use it for resumes in
    a heavier weight!

There is one exception to the 25% cotton bond (the only one I
have found) ... it's made by Southworth, and the specific title
of the paper is: "Watermark Electronic Paper".  I have no ideas
or theories as to why this prints the way it does, but there is
a kind of streaky bleeding when using it with the DeskWriter.
The bleeding is very uneven.

In case you were wondering:

The weight of paper (eg: 20lb stock) refers to the paper's thickness

I hope this helps!

--Brad

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (02/04/90)

In article <3538@odin.SGI.COM> mtoy@there.sgi.com (Michael Toy) writes:
> I have a HP DeskWriter, it is a great printer, everybody should have one.
> I want to know, exactly what kind of paper do I buy in order to get the
> best quality output.

I've had excellent results using "CASCADE OD/Xerographic" 20-pound paper
from Boise Cascade.  Our company buys it in quantity (a dozen cases at a
time) for use in our laser-printers and copiers.  I purchased one case
out of the last lot (about $46/10k sheets)... should keep my wife and me
in DeskJet and typing paper for the next few years!

This paper is far superior to the generic Price Club 20-lb paper, which
I've also tried... it jams far less frequently in our LaserWriter Plus,
is more opaque and feels heavier (although it's nominally of the same
weight) and seems to have a better coating.

On this paper, DeskJet output is almost indistinguishable from
LaserWriter output... 300 dpi graphics and text are very crisp, with no
bleeding.  On cheaper paper, the output looks like it came from a dot-
matrix printer with a worn-out-and-reinked ribbon.  There's no contest..
the OD/Xerographic paper is definitely work the extra bucks.

I have no connection to HP or Boise Cascade, save as a very happy
customer of some of their products.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

ubi@ginger.sri.com (Ron Ueberschaer x4399) (02/04/90)

We have a DeskWriter, & I've done a bit of experimenting with different kinds
of paper.  For everyday decent quality, a good typewriter bond works quite
well.  For even better results, go to a stationery store and ask for "Resume
Paper."  They have all different styles, colors, weights, prices.  The grey
paper my wife got is really good--it is Eaton PRIVATE STOCK typewriter paper
with laid finish, 24-lb, 25% cotton fiber, and "archival quality" (acid-free).
It cost $4.79 for 80 sheets.

--Ron Ueberschaer
  SRI International
  ubi@unix.sri.com

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (02/06/90)

In article <8802@unix.SRI.COM>, ubi@ginger.sri.com (Ron Ueberschaer x4399) writes:
> We have a DeskWriter, & I've done a bit of experimenting with different kinds
> of paper.  For everyday decent quality, a good typewriter bond works quite
> well.  For even better results, go to a stationery store and ask for "Resume
> Paper."  They have all different styles, colors, weights, prices.  The grey
> paper my wife got is really good--it is Eaton PRIVATE STOCK typewriter paper
> with laid finish, 24-lb, 25% cotton fiber, and "archival quality" (acid-free).
> It cost $4.79 for 80 sheets.

It had better be *good*...that's $29.94/ream.

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."   Plato, _Phaedrus_